From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:09:39 -0500	[thread overview]

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, colman@ppllc.com wrote:

> I tried using this and gnus crashed out.  What is the correct way
> use this function?
>
> gnus-registry is apparently not loaded by default so I 'require' it
> early on in my .gnus file (right after I (require 'spam).

That's not enough, you need to do (gnus-registry-initialize).  The
registry won't be a Gnus feature formally until after the current
release is out of beta, that's why it's not in the manual.

Before you do that, can you send me a trace of the problem?  Do M-x
toggle-debug-on-error and you'll get a trace.

> My nnimap-split-fancy starts like this:
>
> (setq nnimap-split-fancy
>       '(|
>         (: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent)
>         (: spam-split 'spam-use-regex-headers)
> ))
>
> Is there something else I should have done?

No, this is fine.  You may also want tracking by subject, but that's
optional and experimental.

> Do I understand correctly that will scan my mailbox and immediately
> file this message together with its parent?  If so, it makes sense
> to do this as one of the first checks, correct?

Usually, yes, this will group threads together.  It doesn't work with
some MUAs that don't preserve the References header, though.

Ted