From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
Subject: Re: Spam.el tutorial
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:35:10 -0500	[thread overview]

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, zedek@gnu-rox.org wrote:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> disait récemment que :

>> You can give specific checks to spam-split also - see the docs.
>
> So if I understand correctly, I can in my split chain do something
> like (: spam-split 'spam-use-bogofilter) and so on ?

Yes, just like it says in the manual :)

>> Well, spam autodetection has these benefits:

>> - easier to see what's happening
>
> Hum how so ?

It's in spam-find-spam, instead of all over the place in split-fancy
methods.  Debugging spam-find-spam is pretty easy.

>> - obviously, spam autodetection works for read-only backends
>
> Ah here is the point. Since now, I set spam-autodetect even for my
> normal mail groups (nnml backends) and I just didn't see anything
> happening except a bunch of CPU used when entering mailing-list
> groups.

Well I didn't say "only works."  It should work for all mail groups,
and I've used it that way.  What did you expect to happen?  Some mail
will be marked as spam, but you probably don't have any spam in your
mail groups so there was nothing to mark.

>> The best solution, as always, may be a compromise:
>>
>> - spam-split in incoming mail will move mail to a temporary queue
>>   folder
>>
>> - right afterwards, spam autodetection will be done on the queue
>>   folder
>>
>> - ham will be sent to the next item in the
>>   nn{mail,imap}-split-fancy chain
>
> Hmmm. I don't think I have correctly understood this part. Best for
> me is to try that way.

No worries, this will not come up again for a while, and if it does
I'll be sure to discuss it at length with the other Gnus developers
and users before I write any code.

Ted