From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: gnus-registry question
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:04:59 -0500	[thread overview]

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, colman@ppllc.com wrote:

> How about if I send an email to someone and gcc it to a folder.
> Will the registry note that my outgoing email was filed somewhere
> and automatically file the reply?  I'm not sure this works.  Under
> this situation, I make sure to explitly read the gcc'ed email that I
> just sent in order to make dure that the registry takes note.  When
> I do this, the reply is file correctly.  Otherwise, I think not.

The registry catches spooling, moving, copying, and deletion of
messages.  You can always check manually if it did what it should
have by raising the value of the gnus-verbose variable (10 is good,
albeit temporarily).  In the Messages buffer, you'll see the
registry's messages.

> What about if I reply to an email and then manually move that email
> to another folder.  I know that the registry will take note of the
> move.  But the reply to the email I sent is a follow-up to _my_ new
> message, not to the email that I moved.  Will the registry track
> that?  Is my question making sense?

The registry will catch the first reference it can track.  So, if the
message that's incoming has references A and B, and A is in group P
but B in group Q, then A wins (I'm pretty sure the references are
checked in the expected order).

Again, look at the Messages buffer to be sure, but I'm pretty sure
that's what will happen, and it's what my testing has shown.  As you
know, the gnus-registry is not stable, so any bugs or quirks you
uncover are greatly appreciated.

Ted