* How to load spam.el just for gmane reporting?
@ 2003-09-25 19:12 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2003-09-25 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

The manual says the following about loading the spam.el package:

   ...So you should load `spam.el' after you set one of the
   `spam-use-*' variables:

     (setq spam-use-bogofilter t)
     (require 'spam)

But what if I just wish to load this package for use with the gmane
groups?  There is no spam-use-gmane variable.  At least none that I
could find?

Thanx!

- Steinar

* Re: How to load spam.el just for gmane reporting?
@ 2003-09-25 19:52 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-09-25 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 25 2003, Steinar Bang wrote:

> The manual says the following about loading the spam.el package:
>
>    ...So you should load `spam.el' after you set one of the
>    `spam-use-*' variables:
>
>      (setq spam-use-bogofilter t)
>      (require 'spam)
>
> But what if I just wish to load this package for use with the gmane
> groups?  There is no spam-use-gmane variable.  At least none that I
> could find?

My reading of (info "(gnus)Filtering Spam Using The Spam ELisp
Package") is this:

It should be enough to set the `spam-process' variable[1] as described
in (info "(gnus)Gmane Spam Reporting") and add ...

     (setq spam-install-hooks t)
     (spam-install-hooks-function)

... to `~/.gnus.el'.

But I'm quite sure that this doesn't work, since
`spam-install-hooks-function' has no auto-load cookie.  I think we
should either add the cookie or clarify the instructions in the
manual.  Ted, WDYT?

BTW: `spam-process-ham-in-spam-groups' and
`spam-process-ham-in-nonham-groups' aren't documented in the manual.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] From my posting styles:
   ("gmane\\."
    (spam-process (gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-report-gmane)))
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How to load spam.el just for gmane reporting?
@ 2003-09-25 20:27 ` Ted Stern
From: Ted Stern @ 2003-09-25 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 25 Sep 2003, Steinar Bang wrote:
> The manual says the following about loading the spam.el package:
>
>    ...So you should load `spam.el' after you set one of the
>    `spam-use-*' variables:
>
>      (setq spam-use-bogofilter t)
>      (require 'spam)
>
> But what if I just wish to load this package for use with the gmane
> groups?  There is no spam-use-gmane variable.  At least none that I
> could find?
>
> Thanx!
>

> - Steinar

Here's what I do:

In .gnus:

   ;; Set up spam reporting
   (require 'spam)
   (require 'spam-report)

I put all my Gmane groups in a single Topic.  Then I customize group
parameters for the Topic ("G p" on the "Gmane" topic line in the *Group*
buffer):

        ((spam-process
          (gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-report-gmane)))

If there is any extra overhead for having all the other spam stuff in there, I
don't notice it.

Ted
--
 Ted Stern                                 Applications Group
 Cray Inc.                               office: 206-701-2182

 Frango ut patefaciam -- I break that I may reveal
 (The Paleontological Society motto, equally apropos for debugging)

* Re: How to load spam.el just for gmane reporting?
@ 2003-09-27 22:39   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2003-09-27 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

[snip!]
>    ;; Set up spam reporting
>    (require 'spam)
>    (require 'spam-report)

So spam-use-* is not neccessary?  Perhaps the manual should be changed
to reflect this?

> I put all my Gmane groups in a single Topic.  Then I customize group
> parameters for the Topic ("G p" on the "Gmane" topic line in the *Group*
> buffer):

>         ((spam-process
>           (gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-report-gmane)))

Hm... I can't (actually "won't") do it that way.  But thanx for the
tip!

Putting spam-process into all gmane groups' group parameters, is too
much work, and is something I'd have to remember when creating new
groups.

So I guess I'll have to figure out how to set up the
gnus-spam-process-destinations variable.

I tried the following,
  (setq gnus-spam-process-newsgroups
	(list
	 (list "^nntp+news.gmane.org" 'gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-report-gmane)
	 ))

and then entered a gmane group, marked the spam articles with M-d, and
exited the group.  The minibuffer messages were
  Marking spam as expired without moving it
  Exiting summary buffer and applying spam rules

How do I know if the setting of gnus-spam-process-newsgroups "took"?
I don't think it did, because the exit was too fast.

It wasn't held up by doing 6 HTTP requests to gmane.

@ 2003-09-27 22:45   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2003-09-27 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

[snip!]
> [1] From my posting styles:
>    ("gmane\\."
>     (spam-process (gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-report-gmane)))

Ah.  You use posting styles instead of gnus-spam-process-newsgroups?
Perhaps I can do the same?  I already has a style matching
gmane... the behaviour was the same as with gnus-spam-process-newsgroups:
no noticable delay on group exit, and the following messages in the
minibuffer:
  Marking spam as expired without moving it
  Exiting summary buffer and applying spam rules

Do I need to restart Gnus for these settings to take?

@ 2003-09-27 23:02     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2003-09-27 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> [snip!]
>> [1] From my posting styles:
>> ("gmane\\."
>> (spam-process (gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-report-gmane)))

[snip!]
Doing it this way gave me
 Symbol's function definition is void: gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-report-gmane
when trying to followups to gmane groups, so I abandoned it.

The only success I've had so far, is adding
 (spam-process (gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-report-gmane))
to a group's group parameters.  Then I got the following minibuffer
messages on exit:
 Marking spam as expired without moving it
 Reporting spam article 84 to spam.gmane.org...
 Reporting spam article 86 to spam.gmane.org...
 Reporting spam article 99 to spam.gmane.org...
 Reporting spam article 100 to spam.gmane.org...
 Reporting spam article 101 to spam.gmane.org...
 Reporting spam article 105 to spam.gmane.org...
 Registering spam with the Gmane report

@ 2003-09-27 23:08     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2003-09-27 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I tried the following,
>   (setq gnus-spam-process-newsgroups
> 	(list
> 	 (list "^nntp+news.gmane.org" 'gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-report-gmane)
> 	 ))

Wrong list syntax, and I forgot to quote the "+" in the regexp.

This works:

@ 2003-09-28 13:46     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-09-28 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 28 2003, Steinar Bang wrote:

> [snip!]
>> [1] From my posting styles:
>>    ("gmane\\."
>>     (spam-process (gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-report-gmane)))
>
> Ah.  You use posting styles

Oops, I meant `gnus-parameters'.  Sorry for the confusion.

> instead of gnus-spam-process-newsgroups?

Yes, `gnus-spam-process-newsgroups' is nil here.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How to load spam.el just for gmane reporting?
@ 2003-10-02 18:31     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-10-02 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, sb@dod.no wrote:

> [snip!]
>>    ;; Set up spam reporting
>>    (require 'spam)
>>    (require 'spam-report)
>
> So spam-use-* is not neccessary?  Perhaps the manual should be
> changed to reflect this?

spam-use-* is necessary for any normal use of spam.el.  What you're
doing, loading it just for the spam exit processor (gmane reporting in
this case) is not wrong, but I would probably isolate the commentary
to the as-of-yet-unwritten spam-report.el documentation :)

You do have to set spam-install-hooks if you don't have any of the
spam-use-* variables set.

> Putting spam-process into all gmane groups' group parameters, is too
> much work, and is something I'd have to remember when creating new
> groups.

You can also do it by regular expressions I believe (see
gnus-spam-process-newsgroups).

> So I guess I'll have to figure out how to set up the
> gnus-spam-process-destinations variable.

gnus-spam-process-destinations only applies to where processed spam
will go after processing (it will be moved), probably not what you
want in a gmane group.  I would leave it nil for gmane groups.

> How do I know if the setting of gnus-spam-process-newsgroups "took"?
> I don't think it did, because the exit was too fast.
>
> It wasn't held up by doing 6 HTTP requests to gmane.

Increase gnus-verbose and you should see the messages about reporting
spam to gmane.

HTH
Ted

* Re: How to load spam.el just for gmane reporting?
@ 2003-10-02 18:40   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-10-02 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, 4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de wrote:

> My reading of (info "(gnus)Filtering Spam Using The Spam ELisp
> Package") is this:
>
> It should be enough to set the `spam-process' variable[1] as
> described in (info "(gnus)Gmane Spam Reporting") and add ...
>
>      (setq spam-install-hooks t)
>      (spam-install-hooks-function)
>
> ... to `~/.gnus.el'.
>
> But I'm quite sure that this doesn't work, since
> `spam-install-hooks-function' has no auto-load cookie.  I think we
> should either add the cookie or clarify the instructions in the
> manual.  Ted, WDYT?

It should work :)  Can you suggest a fix?  I don't know about
auto-load cookies.

> BTW: `spam-process-ham-in-spam-groups' and
> `spam-process-ham-in-nonham-groups' aren't documented in the manual.

I added those, take a look.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: How to load spam.el just for gmane reporting?
@ 2003-10-02 20:00     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-10-02 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 02 2003, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, 4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de wrote:
[...]
>> But I'm quite sure that this doesn't work, since
>> `spam-install-hooks-function' has no auto-load cookie.  I think we
>> should either add the cookie or clarify the instructions in the
>> manual.  Ted, WDYT?
>
> It should work :)  Can you suggest a fix?

Already committed. ;-)

> I don't know about auto-load cookies.

When you add ";;;###autoload" before the defun, the function can be
called without requiring 'spam first.  The make process generates an
entry...

(autoload (quote spam-install-hooks-function) "spam" "\
Install the spam.el hooks" t nil)

... in `gnus-load.el'.  This file should be required when using a
stand-alone Gnus distribution, see (info "(gnus)Oort Gnus").  For the
version of Gnus bundled, the cookie is placed in `loaddefs.el' (and
this code is dumped into the Emacs binary, IIRC).

>> BTW: `spam-process-ham-in-spam-groups' and
>> `spam-process-ham-in-nonham-groups' aren't documented in the manual.
>
> I added those, take a look.

Thanks.

Bye, Reiner.
--