* Move cached articles around?
@ 2003-07-30  3:24 Jan Rychter
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jan Rychter @ 2003-07-30  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmm. I asked in gnu.emacs.gnus and no one replied. Maybe someone here
will know.

Is there a way to move ticked-and-cached (!*) articles from one NNTP
group to another?

This issue comes up when you read a group from one NNTP server, then
switch to another. Or when you read a list via Gmane but then start
subscribing it via E-mail. You will probably want to move all the cached
good stuff to the other group. Can this be done?

--J.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Move cached articles around?
@ 2003-07-30  5:35 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2003-07-30  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Hmm. I asked in gnu.emacs.gnus and no one replied. Maybe someone here
> will know.

> Is there a way to move ticked-and-cached (!*) articles from one NNTP
> group to another?

> This issue comes up when you read a group from one NNTP server, then
> switch to another. Or when you read a list via Gmane but then start
> subscribing it via E-mail. You will probably want to move all the cached
> good stuff to the other group. Can this be done?

This can be done by typing `B c destination-group RET M-*' for
each article or marked articles.  Doesn't it satisfy you? :)
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>

* Re: Move cached articles around?
@ 2003-07-30  7:49   ` Jan Rychter
From: Jan Rychter @ 2003-07-30  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 >> Hmm. I asked in gnu.emacs.gnus and no one replied. Maybe someone
 >> here will know.

 >> Is there a way to move ticked-and-cached (!*) articles from one NNTP
 >> group to another?

 >> This issue comes up when you read a group from one NNTP server, then
 >> switch to another. Or when you read a list via Gmane but then start
 >> subscribing it via E-mail. You will probably want to move all the
 >> cached good stuff to the other group. Can this be done?

 Yamaoka> This can be done by typing `B c destination-group RET M-*' for
 Yamaoka> each article or marked articles.  Doesn't it satisfy you? :)

Hmm... no, not really -- this works only if the destination-group isn't
an nntp group.

As an example, I have two comp.lang.lisp groups -- from two different
servers. I'd like to leave only one around, but I'd like to move the
cached articles from one to another, so as not to lose them.

@ 2003-07-30  9:29     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2003-07-30  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> As an example, I have two comp.lang.lisp groups -- from two different
> servers. I'd like to leave only one around, but I'd like to move the
> cached articles from one to another, so as not to lose them.

Oops.  That's difficult by Gnus, but it is possible by hand if
at least one of the following two conditions is satisfied:

1. All article numbers are the same in both of nntp servers.
2. All cached articles have been expired in the new server and
   those article numbers are younger than existing articles.

Close Gnus.  Cd to the ~/News/cache directory.  Rename the
directory containing the cached articles, and the entry line of
the active file from old one to new one.  Start Gnus.  Enter the
new server's group.  Mark all cached articles with `!'.

Although I've tested that it works, I recommend no people it. :p
--

@ 2003-07-30 10:30       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-07-30 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 30 2003, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

>> As an example, I have two comp.lang.lisp groups -- from two different
>> servers. I'd like to leave only one around, but I'd like to move the
>> cached articles from one to another, so as not to lose them.

Maybe there's stuff in `gnus-move.el' to do this, but I never tried.
Others have reported that it's very, very slow (IIRC).

> Oops.  That's difficult by Gnus, but it is possible by hand if
> at least one of the following two conditions is satisfied:
>
> 1. All article numbers are the same in both of nntp servers.

I guess this is never true in real life.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Move cached articles around?
@ 2003-07-30 14:11 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-07-30 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Rychter <jan@rychter.com> writes:

> Is there a way to move ticked-and-cached (!*) articles from one NNTP
> group to another?

You could try to do it manually.  It is very error-prone, however.

The idea is to insert cached articles for the target group behind
Gnus' back.  You'll have to use article numbers that aren't used on
the server anymore.  So let's say the first article on the target
server has number 42, then you can insert 41 cached articles.  Just
write the files and add the corresponding data to the .overview and
.agentview files in the directory.

But this is really dangerous.
--
~/.signature

* Re: Move cached articles around?
@ 2003-07-30 14:32 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-07-30 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, jan@rychter.com wrote:
> Is there a way to move ticked-and-cached (!*) articles from one NNTP
> group to another?
>
> This issue comes up when you read a group from one NNTP server, then
> switch to another. Or when you read a list via Gmane but then start
> subscribing it via E-mail. You will probably want to move all the
> cached good stuff to the other group. Can this be done?

Someone could hack the Gnus registry to associate marks with message
IDs.  That's not the same as associating marks with articles, but it
should be sufficient for your needs.  On summary exit or when the
article is marked the registry would get the updated marks (probably
it's easier to do this on summary exit in case the user requests an
exit without saving the state); on summary entry the marks can be
looked up in the registry and applied.

Ted

* Re: Move cached articles around?
@ 2003-07-30 17:19     ` Sven Kloppenburg
From: Sven Kloppenburg @ 2003-07-30 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Rychter <jan@rychter.com> writes:

> As an example, I have two comp.lang.lisp groups -- from two different
> servers. I'd like to leave only one around, but I'd like to move the
> cached articles from one to another, so as not to lose them.

How about this?

1) copy the cached articles (with B c) to a local group (nnarchive?)
2) create a nnvirtual group from the new nntp group and the nnarchive
3) remove the old nntp-group
--
ciao,
sven

* Re: Move cached articles around?
@ 2003-07-31 17:21   ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-07-31 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Jan Rychter <jan@rychter.com> writes:
>
>> Is there a way to move ticked-and-cached (!*) articles from one NNTP
>> group to another?
>
> You could try to do it manually.  It is very error-prone, however.
>
> The idea is to insert cached articles for the target group behind
> Gnus' back.  You'll have to use article numbers that aren't used on
> the server anymore.  So let's say the first article on the target
> server has number 42, then you can insert 41 cached articles.  Just
> write the files and add the corresponding data to the .overview and
> .agentview files in the directory.
>
> But this is really dangerous.

Considerably less dangerous, but not necessarily what Jan wants, is to
leverage this feature from the agent.

Jan could copy the articles from the cached directory of the original
group to the agent directory of the destination group.  The article
files will then need to be renamed to "old" (i.e. already seen)
numbers.  At this point, the M-x gnus-agent-regenerate-group command
(run in the group buffer) could be used to rebuilt the
.overview/.agentview files.  Answer 'some' to the command's prompt and
the migrated articles will appear in the group's summary view.

Kevin