* When the news server is dead and buried...?
@ 2004-03-08 10:52 Jonas Steverud
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2004-03-08 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

The news server my ISP has had and I've been using is dead (it died
last summer, I think, and it was never well maintained, quite the
opposite) and I'm quite convinced it is also buried with a stake
though its heart. I.e. I won't see it anylonger.

I've decided that I will leave USENET anyway, due to the Spam-problem,
and hence has a bit of an intersting problem I would like some help
with solving.

I get all my email by POP and store it in nnfolders. I currently have
two POP accounts, using mail-sources, and in the future they might
become more of them.

Since I don't read news, can I instead let my email be my primary
server/source? I know it was a problem in the old days (pre-pGnus?),
but what about these days?

If that cannot be done without a lot of hassle (having problem with my
email is not an option), any suggestions of how I can get Gnus to
ignore the "primary" news server? gnus-no-server is one option, but it
only looks at group levels of 1 and 2 and I create mail groups
frequently and it will get out of sync every now and then (i.e. I will
forget about setting the group level for the new groups) since new
groups get the gnus-level-default-subscribed level. (I don't think it
is a good idea to set gnus-level-default-subscribed to 2, if I start
to use some news server - like I had a look at Gmane for a while.)

Is there a variable which is a list of regexps and then the regexp
that matches the group sets the group level. E.g.

(setq gnus-level-default-subscribed
      '(("nnfolder:Foobar\\." . 2)
        ("nnfolder:Bar\\." . 2)
        ("nnfolder:Email\\." . 3)
        ("nnmh:Lists\\." . 1)
        ("nntp+.*gmane.*:" . 2)
        (".*" . 3)))

(Is this a feature that we want, BTW?)

The bottom line: I currently have some problems with the lack of a
working news server and am looking for ways to solve them. All
suggestions are welcome. Using Gmane as the primary server is one
solution but not one I'm happy with since I prefer email over news for
mailing lists (it's a good idea for an archive though), and I think it
is a slow solution for a "placeholder solution".

Any ideas?

(Gnus v5.10.6 if it matters.)

--
(        http://hem.bredband.net/steverud/        !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )