* spam and spam-stat problems
@ 2004-06-02  9:03 Svend Tollak Munkejord
From: Svend Tollak Munkejord @ 2004-06-02  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have problems getting spam and spam-stat to work. The spam articles
don't seem to be properly accounted for. I use No Gnus 0.2 (1 May),
nnmaildir and GNU Emacs 21.2.

Here's my setup:

(setq gnus-registry-max-entries 3500)
(setq gnus-registry-use-long-group-names t)
(gnus-registry-initialize)
(setq spam-use-stat t)
(gnus-registry-initialize)
(spam-initialize)
(setq
 spam-log-to-registry t
 spam-split-group "boss"
 spam-mark-only-unseen-as-spam t
 spam-mark-ham-unread-before-move-from-spam-group t)
(setq gnus-parameters
      '(
	("^nnmaildir"
	 (gnus-large-newsgroup 1000)
	 (spam-process-destination "nnmaildir:boss")
	 (spam-process ((spam spam-use-stat)
                        (ham spam-use-stat))))
 	("mail\\..*"
	 (spam-contents gnus-group-spam-classification-ham))
	("boss"
	 (total-expire . t)
	 (expiry-wait . 3)
	 (spam-contents gnus-group-spam-classification-spam)
	 (spam-process ((spam spam-use-stat)
                        (ham spam-use-stat)))
	 (ham-process-destination "nnmaildir:mail.misc"))))

Here's a test that I did:

1. rm ~/.spam-stat.el
2. touch ~/.spam-stat.el
3. rm ~/.gnus.registry*
4. start Emacs and Gnus
5. enter mail.misc. There's a spam message. Mark it as spam using
`M-d'. The *Messages* buffer shows, using
(setq gnus-verbose 10)
(setq spam-log-processing-to-registry t)

Exiting summary buffer and applying spam rules
Registering 1  articles as spam using backend spam-use-stat
Marking spam as expired and moving it to (nnmaildir:boss)
Moving to nnmaildir:boss: (37)...
Registry: article <fqgaczmjrb9.fsf@ozelot.stud.ntnu.no> going from nnmaildir:ma\
il.misc to nnmaildir:boss
Marking spam as expired without moving it
Registering 0  articles as ham using backend spam-use-stat

So far, so good.

6. Enter the spam group ("boss" in this case): The above-mentioned
   spam message is marked `$'. (Shouldn't it be `E', since it is not
   new?) Exit the spam group. The *Messages* buffer says:

Retrieving newsgroup: nnmaildir:boss...
Fetching headers for nnmaildir:boss...done
Sorting threads...done
Generating summary...done
Marking unseen articles as spam
No more unread articles
Exiting summary buffer and applying spam rules
Unregistering 1 specific articles as spam using backend spam-use-stat [2 times]
Registering 1  articles as spam using backend spam-use-stat
Marking spam as expired without moving it
Moving ham messages from spam group
Expiring articles...done

I don't understand the "unregistering" and "registering" stuff, but
anyway it seems strange that the article has been unregistered twice.

7. Restart Gnus to make it save its data. ~/.spam-stat.el says:
   setq spam-stat-ngood 2 spam-stat-nbad 0

I don't understand this either, but I'd guess that ngood is the number
of registered ham articles and nbad is the number of spam
articles. I'd have expected ngood=0 and nbad=1. In fact, if I enter
and exit the spam group and restart Gnus, ngood increases by one.

Have I found a bug, or is there something wrong with my setup?

Regards,
--
Svend Tollak Munkejord

* Re: spam and spam-stat problems
@ 2004-06-07 16:34 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-06-07 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004, stm+direct_reply@bacchus.pvv.org wrote:

> I have problems getting spam and spam-stat to work. The spam articles
> don't seem to be properly accounted for. I use No Gnus 0.2 (1 May),
> nnmaildir and GNU Emacs 21.2.
[...]
> I don't understand the "unregistering" and "registering" stuff, but
> anyway it seems strange that the article has been unregistered twice.
>
> 7. Restart Gnus to make it save its data. ~/.spam-stat.el says:
>    setq spam-stat-ngood 2 spam-stat-nbad 0
>
> I don't understand this either, but I'd guess that ngood is the number
> of registered ham articles and nbad is the number of spam
> articles. I'd have expected ngood=0 and nbad=1. In fact, if I enter
> and exit the spam group and restart Gnus, ngood increases by one.
>
> Have I found a bug, or is there something wrong with my setup?

I recommend using CVS Gnus if you want to be on the cutting edge with
spam.el, especially for the registration/deregistration code.  That
may work better for you.

The good news is, I plan to change spam.el, including the
registration/deregistration code, soon.  I know tracking of the
registration status doesn't work well, and that has to do with some
Gnus internals (sparse threads, specifically) and the way they
interoperate with my code.  The new spam.el will be more reliable
regarding spam registration, especially since I'm aware now of a lot
of the problems.

Ted