From: Joakim Hove <hove@bccs.no>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Quoted printable in multipart messages
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:13:07 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello Kai,

thanks for answering.

> Well, you are using iso-8859-15 in your message, but the qp message
> you quote is in iso-8859-1.

That is right - changing from 8859-1 -> 8859-15 was some desperate act
on my behalf, it probabbly only made things worse.

> I think starting in Emacs 21.3, iso-8859 unification is available and
> (partly) turned on by default.  This might help.

I am downloading Emacs 21.3 right now, with my fingers crossed!

> Another thing is latin1-display.  This is a library that comes with
> Emacs which tries to render non-X characters using approximations from
> the X character set.  It seems that "o/" is an ascii approximation of
> "ø".

Yes - "o/" is a reasonable approximation to "ø", but as far as I can
see I am not using latin1-display:

   (message "Provided: %s" (featurep 'latin1-disp))

Gives nil. However, nevertheless I think you might have a point,
because the original text is rendered correctly with "ø" when I set
point and mark and call M-x quoted-printable-decode-region, indicating
that this might be something gnus is doing wrong?

Any sensible pointers to where one can learn more about things would
be nice.

Thanks - Joakim

 / Joakim Hove  / hove@bccs.no  /  (55 5) 84076       |                 \
 | Unifob AS, Avdeling for Beregningsvitenskap (BCCS) | Stabburveien 18 |
 | CMU                                                | 5231 Paradis    |
 \ Thormøhlensgt.55, 5020 Bergen.                     | 55 91 28 18     /