* gnus-batch-score should run in slave mode
@ 1996-11-04 15:04 jeff (j.d.) sparkes
From: jeff (j.d.) sparkes @ 1996-11-04 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Running gnus-batch-score in slave mode should reduce the possibilty of
collision between a running gnus and a batch mode one.  I also added a
variable so your .gnus can tell if its running in batch mode.

Obviously, no one has been using gnus-batch-score since it didn't work
right.  I have commented out one line since i don't know the proper
fix.

*** gnus-kill.el	1996/11/04 14:40:26	1.1
--- gnus-kill.el	1996/11/04 14:44:05
***************
*** 684,689 ****
--- 684,690 ----
  	 (gnus-expert-user t)
  	 (nnmail-spool-file nil)
  	 (gnus-use-dribble-file nil)
+ 	 (gnus-batch-mode t)
  	 group newsrc entry
  	 ;; Disable verbose message.
  	 gnus-novice-user gnus-large-newsgroup
***************
*** 691,706 ****
  	 gnus-options-not-subscribe)
      ;; Eat all arguments.
      (setq command-line-args-left nil)
!     (gnus)
      ;; Apply kills to specified newsgroups in command line arguments.
      (setq newsrc (cdr gnus-newsrc-alist))
      (while (setq group (car (pop newsrc)))
        (setq entry (gnus-gethash group gnus-newsrc-hashtb))
!       (when (and (<= (nth 1 (car newsrc)) gnus-level-subscribed)
  		 (and (car entry)
  		      (or (eq (car entry) t)
  			  (not (zerop (car entry)))))
! 		 (eq (gnus-matches-options-n group) 'subscribe))
  	(gnus-summary-read-group group nil t nil t)
  	(when (eq (current-buffer) (get-buffer gnus-summary-buffer))
  	  (gnus-summary-exit))))
--- 692,708 ----
  	 gnus-options-not-subscribe)
      ;; Eat all arguments.
      (setq command-line-args-left nil)
!     (gnus-slave)
      ;; Apply kills to specified newsgroups in command line arguments.
      (setq newsrc (cdr gnus-newsrc-alist))
      (while (setq group (car (pop newsrc)))
        (setq entry (gnus-gethash group gnus-newsrc-hashtb))
!       (when (and (<= (gnus-info-level (car newsrc)) gnus-level-subscribed)
  		 (and (car entry)
  		      (or (eq (car entry) t)
  			  (not (zerop (car entry)))))
! 		 ;;(eq (gnus-matches-options-n group) 'subscribe)
! 		 )
  	(gnus-summary-read-group group nil t nil t)
  	(when (eq (current-buffer) (get-buffer gnus-summary-buffer))
  	  (gnus-summary-exit))))
*** gnus.el	1996/11/04 14:43:10	1.1
--- gnus.el	1996/11/04 14:43:53
***************
*** 758,763 ****
--- 758,766 ----
  (defvar gnus-slave nil
    "Whether this Gnus is a slave or not.")

+ (defvar gnus-batch-mode nil
+   "Whether this Gnus is running in batch mode or not.")
+
  (defvar gnus-variable-list
    '(gnus-newsrc-options gnus-newsrc-options-n
      gnus-newsrc-last-checked-date

--
Jeff Sparkes jsparkes@nortel.ca	  		Nortel, Ottawa (613)765-2503
"Egad Brain, you astound me!"  "I'm afraid I always will, Pinky."

--
Jeff Sparkes
jsparkes@nortel.ca    Nortel, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada 	613-765-2503

* Re: gnus-batch-score should run in slave mode
       [not found] <"29270 Mon Nov  4 10:05:31 1996"@bnr.ca>
@ 1996-11-04 20:02 ` Sten Drescher
From: Sten Drescher @ 1996-11-04 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

jd> Running gnus-batch-score in slave mode should reduce the
jd> possibilty of collision between a running gnus and a batch mode
jd> one.  I also added a variable so your .gnus can tell if its
jd> running in batch mode.

jd> Obviously, no one has been using gnus-batch-score since it didn't
jd> work right.  I have commented out one line since i don't know the
jd> proper fix.

	Possibly because it's not documented?  I looked through all of
the files in the texi directory of rgnus 0.53, and only found a
reference to doing batch scoring in the gnus-save-scores variable
description, and that only in the contect of 'if you do batch scoring,
set this to t'.  How does it work, what does it gain you, and at what
cost?

--
|   Sten Drescher                     Tivoli Systems, Inc               |