From: Vin Shelton <acs@xemacs.org>
Subject: message-mode-map
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 12:36:44 -0400	[thread overview]

Sorry to follow up my own post, but since no one has responded, I
thought I should send out some more info:

Previously I had written:
> I'm using oort from the latest CVS under XEmacs 21.4, and I have lost
> my C-c C-c binding for message-send-and-exit.  I went looking in the
> source, and I found the following fragment in message.el:
>
>     (unless message-mode-map
>       (setq message-mode-map (make-keymap))
>       (set-keymap-parent message-mode-map text-mode-map)
>
> Inside this form C-c C-c is bound to message-send-and-exit, so I
> guess that when this form is executed, message-mode-map is non-nil.
>
> When I build gnus from source and copy it into my site-packages
> directory, I run make install and then I run the following command
> in order to generate autoloads:
>
>     xemacs -vanilla -batch -eval "(setq autoload-package-name
>            \"gnus\")" -f batch-update-directory .
>
> If I remove this auto-autoloads file from the lisp/gnus directory and
> then start gnus [via (load-library "gnus") M-x gnus], then C-c C-c is
> correctly bound, apparently because message-mode-map is nil when the
> relevant code is executed in message.el.
>
> So it looks to me like something in my auto-autoloads.el file is
> causing message-mode-map to be defined, and this, in turn is
> preventing the default message-mode-map from being set correctly.

I don't know if it's clear from the post, but none of the standard C-c
bindings are set up in my standard oort/XEmacs configuration.

My investigation has revealed that the following autoload from
message.el causes the problem.  When I comment this line out of
auto-autoloads.el, the appropriate keybindings get set up in message
mode.  In particular, C-c C-c gets bound to message-send-and-exit.

    (define-derived-mode message-mode text-mode "Message"
      "Major mode for editing mail and news to be sent.
    Like Text Mode but with these additional commands:\\<message-mode-map>
    C-c C-s  `message-send' (send the message)  C-c C-c  `message-send-and-exit'
    C-c C-d  Postpone sending the message       C-c C-k  Kill the message
    C-c C-f  move to a header field (and create it if there isn't):
             C-c C-f C-t  move to To	C-c C-f C-s  move to Subject
             C-c C-f C-c  move to Cc	C-c C-f C-b  move to Bcc
             C-c C-f C-w  move to Fcc	C-c C-f C-r  move to Reply-To
             C-c C-f C-u  move to Summary	C-c C-f C-n  move to Newsgroups
             C-c C-f C-k  move to Keywords	C-c C-f C-d  move to Distribution
             C-c C-f C-o  move to From (\"Originator\")
             C-c C-f C-f  move to Followup-To
             C-c C-f C-m  move to Mail-Followup-To
             C-c C-f C-i  cycle through Importance values
    C-c C-t  `message-insert-to' (add a To header to a news followup)
    C-c C-l  `message-to-list-only' (removes all but list address in to/cc)
    C-c C-n  `message-insert-newsgroups' (add a Newsgroup header to a news reply)
    C-c C-b  `message-goto-body' (move to beginning of message text).
    C-c C-i  `message-goto-signature' (move to the beginning of the signature).
    C-c C-w  `message-insert-signature' (insert `message-signature-file' file).
    C-c C-y  `message-yank-original' (insert current message, if any).
    C-c C-q  `message-fill-yanked-message' (fill what was yanked).
    C-c C-e  `message-elide-region' (elide the text between point and mark).
    C-c C-v  `message-delete-not-region' (remove the text outside the region).
    C-c C-z  `message-kill-to-signature' (kill the text up to the signature).
    C-c C-r  `message-caesar-buffer-body' (rot13 the message body).
    C-c C-a  `mml-attach-file' (attach a file as MIME).
    C-c C-u  `message-insert-or-toggle-importance'  (insert or cycle importance).
    C-c M-n  `message-insert-disposition-notification-to'  (request receipt).
    M-RET    `message-newline-and-reformat' (break the line and reformat)."

Can anyone please explain to me what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
   vin

--
In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.         T.S. Eliot