* Persistent News Articles - Saving News
@ 1995-12-05  7:03 Jason Schroeder
From: Jason Schroeder @ 1995-12-05  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

It would seem to me that if I want to save an article in comp.lang.ml, for
example, I would probably like to just keep the article in the organization
it has been initially presented to me.  So saving an article becomes the
functional equivalent of making the article persistent in that newsgroup.

I find that saving articles presents me with a diffiuclty: what to name it
and where to file it!  Even then, will I remember to go looking at the
saved information.

Initially it seems to me when we save news articles, we are really wanting
to hold the article indefinitely - not just stuff it somewhere else.

Does this make sense to anyone?  Any takers?  Is this an appropriate use
for viirtual groups mixing mail and news in the same group?

Comments? Rants?

Jason

* Re: Persistent News Articles - Saving News
@ 1995-12-05  7:38 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1995-12-05  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jason Schroeder

  Jason> It would seem to me that if I want to save an article in
  Jason> comp.lang.ml, for example, I would probably like to just keep
  Jason> the article in the organization it has been initially
  Jason> presented to me.  So saving an article becomes the functional
  Jason> equivalent of making the article persistent in that
  Jason> newsgroup.

I think the variable gnus-use-cache has a wrong name and doc string,
for what we really use it for is to keep news articles in groups
locally, don't we all?

Jason, setting gnus-use-cache to t then ticking (`u') articles in news
groups means they will remain in the news group forever (well, until
you untick them, anyway).

        \kai{}
--
Have you hugged your signature today?

* Re: Persistent News Articles - Saving News
@ 1995-12-05 15:15   ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1995-12-05 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: shrode

Kai Grossjohann writes:

> [...]

Jason> It would seem to me that if I want to save an article in
Jason> comp.lang.ml, for example, I would probably like to just keep
Jason> the article in the organization it has been initially
Jason> presented to me.  So saving an article becomes the functional
Jason> equivalent of making the article persistent in that
Jason> newsgroup.

> I think the variable gnus-use-cache has a wrong name and doc string,
> for what we really use it for is to keep news articles in groups
> locally, don't we all?

> Jason, setting gnus-use-cache to t then ticking (`u') articles in news
> groups means they will remain in the news group forever (well, until
> you untick them, anyway).

I agree with Kai.  I do this all the time, except rather than setting
them as unread (`!'), I prefer to set them as dormant (`?').  The
advantage of dormant over unread is that I don't see the articles unless
I want to (either as a `*' in the summary, or in the group itself).  I
can always `M D' to show the dormants.

I also use this on my auto-expire mail groups.

Nit to pick with Lars: When I `M D', the articles are not threaded
correctly, and have no `A r' property (which I assume is a related
issue).

-Colin

* Re: Persistent News Articles - Saving News
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-06  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

craffert@sps.ml.com (Colin Rafferty) writes:

> I agree with Kai.  I do this all the time, except rather than setting
> them as unread (`!'), I prefer to set them as dormant (`?').  The
> advantage of dormant over unread is that I don't see the articles unless
> I want to (either as a `*' in the summary, or in the group itself).  I
> can always `M D' to show the dormants.

Perhaps there should be an explicit "make this article persistant"
command to avoid other side-effects of using caching?  Yes, I think
I'll add that to the todo list.  I think those articles should be
marked with "P"; so they're marked as read, perhaps.  Or perhaps
they're a special kind of dormant articles?  Or perhaps they're just
normal dormant articles?  A `gnus-persistant-dormant-articles'
variable to control whether all dormant articles should be cached,
perhaps?

> Nit to pick with Lars: When I `M D', the articles are not threaded
> correctly,

That's been fixed in September, I think.

> and have no `A r' property (which I assume is a related issue).

I haven't heard of that bug before... could you send me a bug report?

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: Persistent News Articles - Saving News
@ 1995-12-08 18:28       ` Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-12-08 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Lars> Perhaps there should be an explicit "make this article
    Lars> persistant" command to avoid other side-effects of using
    Lars> caching?  Yes, I think I'll add that to the todo list.

I hope this means they'll not be subject to expiration unless total
expiration is done.

--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Re: Persistent News Articles - Saving News
@ 1995-12-08 20:29         ` Sten Drescher
From: Sten Drescher @ 1995-12-08 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

steve@miranova.com (Steven L. Baur) said:

> [...]
Lars> Perhaps there should be an explicit "make this article persistant"
Lars> command to avoid other side-effects of using caching?  Yes, I
Lars> think I'll add that to the todo list.

SLB> I hope this means they'll not be subject to expiration unless total
SLB> expiration is done.

	I wouldn't even want them to expire then.  Persistient should
mean that it stays until I explicitly say that it can go away,
expiration or no.

--
#include <disclaimer.h>				/* Sten Drescher */
To get my PGP public key, send me email with your public key and