* procmail, gnus and "new" mail groups
@ 2000-09-18 16:24 Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2000-09-18 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

When I receive an e-mail from a mailinglist, procmail filters it by some
headers (X-Loop, X-List etc.) into mboxes with the suffix ".in" in my
~/.procmail dir. This has worked really well together with gnus.

Now, when I recently joined a mailing list, gnus would refuse to put the
messages in the new .in file into a new group. I know for sure that it
has done so in the past, but I dunno when it stopped working (I'm using
a fairly recent cvs gnus).

Is this a bug? A new, (un)documented (I checked info node "Mail Source
Specifiers") feature?

TIA, regards,
--
Andreas Stefan Fuchs                             in Real Life aka
asf@acm.org, asfuchs@gmx.at, asf@ycom.at         in NNTP and SMTP,

* Re: procmail, gnus and "new" mail groups
@ 2000-09-18 16:56 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-09-18 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Fuchs <asf@acm.org> writes:

> Now, when I recently joined a mailing list, gnus would refuse to put

What does "refuse" mean?  Gnus doesn't read the .in file? What is the
value of mail-sources?

> the messages in the new .in file into a new group. I know for sure
> that it has done so in the past, but I dunno when it stopped working
> (I'm using a fairly recent cvs gnus).

Which version of gnus did the past refer to?

ShengHuo

* Re: procmail, gnus and "new" mail groups
@ 2000-09-18 17:12   ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2000-09-18 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today, ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> wrote:

> Andreas Fuchs <asf@acm.org> writes:
>> Now, when I recently joined a mailing list, gnus would refuse to put
> What does "refuse" mean?  Gnus doesn't read the .in file? What is the
> value of mail-sources?

mail-sources=
((file :path "/home/asf/Mailbox"
       :plugged t)
 (directory :path "/home/asf/.procmail/"
            :suffix ".in"))

Yes, gnus doesn't read the .in file.

>> the messages in the new .in file into a new group. I know for sure
>> that it has done so in the past, but I dunno when it stopped working
>> (I'm using a fairly recent cvs gnus).
> Which version of gnus did the past refer to?

As I said, I don't really know, because I never joined any new mailing
lists recently. But AFAIR, gnus 5.8.7 (or was it .6?) did it right.

Sorry for being so fuzzy with version numbers, but I really don't
remember anymore.

> ShengHuo

Thanks.

regards,
--

@ 2000-09-18 18:55     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-09-18 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Fuchs <asf@acm.org> writes:

> mail-sources=
> ((file :path "/home/asf/Mailbox"
>        :plugged t)
>  (directory :path "/home/asf/.procmail/"
>             :suffix ".in"))
>
> Yes, gnus doesn't read the .in file.

According to your setting, Gnus gets the new mails from procmail
directory only when it is plugged.  Are you sure it is plugged?

ShengHuo

* Re: procmail, gnus and "new" mail groups
@ 2000-09-18 22:30 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-09-18 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18 Sep 2000, Andreas Fuchs wrote:

> Now, when I recently joined a mailing list, gnus would refuse to put
> the messages in the new .in file into a new group. I know for sure
> that it has done so in the past, but I dunno when it stopped working
> (I'm using a fairly recent cvs gnus).

Are you saying that Gnus fetches mail from, say, foo.in (because
nnml:foo exists) but not from bar.in (because nnml:bar does not
exist)?  What happens when you use `G m' to create the bar group
manually?  Does it work then?

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: procmail, gnus and "new" mail groups
@ 2000-09-19 15:10   ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2000-09-19 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today, Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> wrote:
> On 18 Sep 2000, Andreas Fuchs wrote:
[gnus and procmail woes]
> Are you saying that Gnus fetches mail from, say, foo.in (because
> nnml:foo exists) but not from bar.in (because nnml:bar does not
> exist)?

Yes, that is absolutely correct.

> What happens when you use `G m' to create the bar group manually?
> Does it work then?

Jup, it works then. Yet, I was still so used to getting the old behavior
that I assumed the mailing list software was at fault, and not my setup.
(-:

> kai

regards,
--

@ 2000-09-19 15:15       ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2000-09-19 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2000-09-18, ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> wrote:

> Andreas Fuchs <asf@acm.org> writes:
>> mail-sources=
>> ((file :path "/home/asf/Mailbox"
>> :plugged t)
>> (directory :path "/home/asf/.procmail/"
>> :suffix ".in"))
>>
>> Yes, gnus doesn't read the .in file.

> According to your setting, Gnus gets the new mails from procmail
> directory only when it is plugged.  Are you sure it is plugged?

It's funny that you mention this, because I stopped using the agent
about two weeks ago. So now, I start gnus with the "gnus" function
again, neither with gnus-unplugged, nor with gnus-plugged.

I assume that gnus is always plugged, then. Or isn't it?

> ShengHuo

regards,
--

@ 2000-09-19 15:41         ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-09-19 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Fuchs <asf@acm.org> writes:

> I assume that gnus is always plugged, then. Or isn't it?

Right.

ShengHuo

* Re: procmail, gnus and "new" mail groups
@ 2000-09-20  9:43     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-09-20  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 Sep 2000, Andreas Fuchs wrote:

> Today, Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> wrote:
>> On 18 Sep 2000, Andreas Fuchs wrote:
> [gnus and procmail woes]
>
>> What happens when you use `G m' to create the bar group manually?
>> Does it work then?
>
> Jup, it works then. Yet, I was still so used to getting the old
> behavior that I assumed the mailing list software was at fault, and
> not my setup.  (-:

I think that this Gnus behavior is a bug.  Wonder if some guru might
find the problem...

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: procmail, gnus and "new" mail groups
@ 2000-09-20 12:56       ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-09-20 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 19 Sep 2000, Andreas Fuchs wrote:
>

> > Today, Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> wrote:
> >> On 18 Sep 2000, Andreas Fuchs wrote:
> > [gnus and procmail woes]
> >
> >> What happens when you use `G m' to create the bar group manually?
> >> Does it work then?
> >
> > Jup, it works then. Yet, I was still so used to getting the old
> > behavior that I assumed the mailing list software was at fault, and
> > not my setup.  (-:
>
> I think that this Gnus behavior is a bug.  Wonder if some guru might
> find the problem...

I am not sure which command Andreas used to fetch new mails.  Due to a
hack of directory mail source, `3 g' or `M-g' might not fetch new
groups, but `g' should do.  Anyway, the following line might help.

    (setq nnmail-scan-directory-mail-source-once t)

ShengHuo

* Re: procmail, gnus and "new" mail groups
@ 2000-09-20 16:18         ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2000-09-20 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today, ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> wrote:
>> I think that this Gnus behavior is a bug.  Wonder if some guru might
>> find the problem...
> I am not sure which command Andreas used to fetch new mails.  Due to a
> hack of directory mail source, `3 g' or `M-g' might not fetch new
> groups, but `g' should do.  Anyway, the following line might help.

Being the lazy bum that I am, I use the command that uses the fewest
keystrokes: "g" (-:

>     (setq nnmail-scan-directory-mail-source-once t)

Hmm. Might just work. Before:

`nnmail-scan-directory-mail-source-once' is a variable declared in Lisp.
  -- loaded from "nnmail"

Value: nil

Documentation:
*If non-nil, scan all incoming procmail sorted mails once.
It scans low-level sorted spools even when not required.

After:
Value: nil

After "g"ing in the Group buffer, "F" tells me that there are now two
new mail groups. Yippie!

Now it works. I never changed this variable from the default. Could it
be that the default was changed? Why?

> ShengHuo

Again, thanks a lot.
regards,
--

@ 2000-09-20 16:54           ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-09-20 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Fuchs <asf@acm.org> writes:

> >     (setq nnmail-scan-directory-mail-source-once t)

> Now it works. I never changed this variable from the default. Could it
> be that the default was changed? Why?

To save time, Gnus only scans those .spool files whose correspondent
groups are requested, when `M-g' or `3 g'.  If
nnmail-scan-directory-mail-source-once is non nil, it force Gnus to
scan all existing .spool files like `g' does.

ShengHuo