* Just casching NOV lines...
@ 2001-02-14 15:08 Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2001-02-14 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I have a KILL file entry[1] that marks my own messages "dormant".  This
means I don't have to read them, but that they automatically becomes
visible when anyone answers them.

However, I also think this is what causes Gnus to attempt to fetch
several megabytes of old NOV information from the server in groups
where I have old dormant messages.   I suspect people with old unread
or ticked articles have the same problem.

So I wondered, would it be possible to cache just the NOV information,
so when I enter a group it will just fetch the new NOV headers, not
all the headers it has fetched before?  It would save a lot of
bandwidth and probably unload the server as well.

Footnotes:
[1]  (gnus-kill "From" "Per Abrahamsen" '(gnus-summary-mark-as-dormant 1))

* Re: Just casching NOV lines...
@ 2001-02-14 20:59 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-02-14 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 14 Feb 2001, Per Abrahamsen wrote:

> So I wondered, would it be possible to cache just the NOV
> information, so when I enter a group it will just fetch the new NOV
> headers, not all the headers it has fetched before?  It would save a
> lot of bandwidth and probably unload the server as well.

Well, nnimap does this, so it must be possible.  However, I don't know
if it is possible to do this in a general fashion.  Of course, it
would be nice to have a nnovcache.el which can be used by any
backend.  Hm.

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

* Re: Just casching NOV lines...
@ 2001-02-14 21:27   ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-02-14 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 14 Feb 2001, Per Abrahamsen wrote:
>
> > So I wondered, would it be possible to cache just the NOV
> > information, so when I enter a group it will just fetch the new NOV
> > headers, not all the headers it has fetched before?  It would save a
> > lot of bandwidth and probably unload the server as well.
>
> Well, nnimap does this, so it must be possible.  However, I don't know
> if it is possible to do this in a general fashion.  Of course, it
> would be nice to have a nnovcache.el which can be used by any
> backend.  Hm.

I am thinking of using nnagent.el.  The thought is to make
gnus-agent-covered-methods more flexible (or introduce a new variable)
so that gnus-agent can be customized to cover only retrieving headers
for some servers.  Moreover, users could be benefited from gnus-agent
without switching between plugged and unplugged, i.e. a more
transparent agent implementation.  However, it is just a thought. I
can't implement it in a short time.

Any comment?

ShengHuo

--
(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '((".*" (signature (format "(setq gnus-posting-styles

* Re: Just casching NOV lines...
@ 2001-02-15  9:46     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-02-15  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 14 Feb 2001, ShengHuo ZHU wrote:

> > Well, nnimap does this, so it must be possible.  However, I don't know
> > if it is possible to do this in a general fashion.  Of course, it
> > would be nice to have a nnovcache.el which can be used by any
> > backend.  Hm.
>
> I am thinking of using nnagent.el.  The thought is to make
> gnus-agent-covered-methods more flexible (or introduce a new variable)
> so that gnus-agent can be customized to cover only retrieving headers
> for some servers.  Moreover, users could be benefited from gnus-agent
> without switching between plugged and unplugged, i.e. a more
> transparent agent implementation.  However, it is just a thought. I
> can't implement it in a short time.

I think this would be nice.  IMO caching and agenting should work
together, so that Gnus always cache NOV lines and articles, making
them available when unplugged.  Moving/copying articles offline still
require some thought tough.