* gnus questions
@ 2001-02-01 16:21 Gregory.Chernov
From: Gregory.Chernov @ 2001-02-01 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm using gnus snapshot 20010119 on Xemacs (non-mule).

Saw couple of problems with this version.

1. slashdot.

I used following code to browse url in slashdot articles with netscape:

(eval-after-load "w3"
  '(progn
     (fset 'w3-fetch-orig (symbol-function 'w3-fetch))
     (defun w3-fetch (&optional url target)
       (interactive (list (w3-read-url-with-default)))
       (if (eq major-mode 'gnus-article-mode)
           (browse-url-netscape url t)
         (w3-fetch-orig url target)
         )
       )
     ))

It's not working now. W3 is used to fetch url's.

2. dejanews.

If I repeat dejanews search with the same pattern, no articles is
found. I figured that commenting out line:
 (unless (nnweb-get-hashtb url)
in nnweb-dejanews-create-mapping function fixes the problem.
Is it gnus bug?

3. I'm using non-mule xemacs and with new version of gnus
I just don't understand how to send messages with non-ascii
headers. I can't send message with unencoded headers, can't
control headers encoding. Only option is iso-8859-1 encoded
headers. For now I just copied rfc2047.el from 5.8.4 gnus.
Is it intended behavior or I'm miss something?

Thanks.

* Re: gnus questions
@ 2001-02-01 16:56 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-02-01 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gregory.Chernov@broadcom.com writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using gnus snapshot 20010119 on Xemacs (non-mule).
>
> Saw couple of problems with this version.
>
> 1. slashdot.
>
> I used following code to browse url in slashdot articles with netscape:
>
> (eval-after-load "w3"
>   '(progn
>      (fset 'w3-fetch-orig (symbol-function 'w3-fetch))
>      (defun w3-fetch (&optional url target)
>        (interactive (list (w3-read-url-with-default)))
>        (if (eq major-mode 'gnus-article-mode)
>            (browse-url-netscape url t)
>          (w3-fetch-orig url target)
>          )
>        )
>      ))
>
> It's not working now. W3 is used to fetch url's.

I use the following code to browse url in external program.

(eval-after-load "w3-display"
  '(defun w3-follow-hyperlink (widget &rest ignore)
     (let ((href (widget-get widget :href)))
       (browse-url href))))

But I am not sure whether eval-after-load works in XEmacs.

> 2. dejanews.
>
> If I repeat dejanews search with the same pattern, no articles is
> found. I figured that commenting out line:
>  (unless (nnweb-get-hashtb url)
> in nnweb-dejanews-create-mapping function fixes the problem.
> Is it gnus bug?

The bug is probably in nnweb-possibly-change-server.  When the group
is ephemeral, the hashtb is not cleared.

> 3. I'm using non-mule xemacs and with new version of gnus
> I just don't understand how to send messages with non-ascii
> headers. I can't send message with unencoded headers, can't
> control headers encoding. Only option is iso-8859-1 encoded
> headers. For now I just copied rfc2047.el from 5.8.4 gnus.
> Is it intended behavior or I'm miss something?

It is a bug. Could you try (rfc2047-encode-string "Français") ?

ShengHuo

--
(setq gnus-posting-styles '((".*" (signature-file "~/.signature"))))