* flaky pop server and "Mail source error" message
@ 1999-11-18 22:46 John Palmieri
From: John Palmieri @ 1999-11-18 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pterodactyl Gnus v0.99
GNU Emacs 20.4.2 (alphaev5-dec-osf4.0f, X toolkit) of Mon Oct 11 1999 on hilbert1

I get some mail through a pop server, but it's a bit flaky and seems
to go down a lot.  As a result, when I check for new mail, I often get
the error message

"Mail source error ((error -ERR mail storage services unavailable ...
Continue? "

At this point, I have to type "yes" or "no".  I would like to skip
this step (i.e., automatically answer "yes").

I think the error message seems to be generated by the function
mail-source-fetch in mail-source.el.  Do I need to rewrite this
function to skip over this step, or is there some variable (say,
something called gnus-ignore-mail-source-error) that I can set to do
this?

--
John H. Palmieri
Dept of Mathematics, Box 354350    palmieri@math.washington.edu

* Re: flaky pop server and "Mail source error" message
@ 1999-11-18 23:07 ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-11-18 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

John> Pterodactyl Gnus v0.99
John> GNU Emacs 20.4.2 (alphaev5-dec-osf4.0f, X toolkit) of Mon Oct 11 1999 on hilbert1

John> I get some mail through a pop server, but it's a bit flaky and seems
John> to go down a lot.  As a result, when I check for new mail, I often get
John> the error message

John> "Mail source error ((error -ERR mail storage services unavailable ...
John> Continue? "

John> At this point, I have to type "yes" or "no".  I would like to skip
John> this step (i.e., automatically answer "yes").

John> I think the error message seems to be generated by the function
John> mail-source-fetch in mail-source.el.  Do I need to rewrite this
John> function to skip over this step, or is there some variable (say,
John> something called gnus-ignore-mail-source-error) that I can set to do
John> this?

[...]

I think vote for '(pop :ignore-error t).

--
Shenghuo ZHU

* Re: flaky pop server and "Mail source error" message
@ 1999-11-18 23:50   ` John Palmieri
From: John Palmieri @ 1999-11-18 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> John> I get some mail through a pop server, but it's a bit flaky and seems
> John> to go down a lot.  As a result, when I check for new mail, I often get
> John> the error message
>
> John> "Mail source error ((error -ERR mail storage services unavailable ...
> John> Continue? "
>
> John> At this point, I have to type "yes" or "no".  I would like to skip
> John> this step (i.e., automatically answer "yes").
>
> I think vote for '(pop :ignore-error t).

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

(By the way, where is this sort of thing documented?  It's not listed
as an option in the `pop' section of the "Mail Source Specifiers" node
of gnus info.  What other keywords can I use with my pop server?)

--

@ 1999-11-19  0:12     ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-11-19  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

>> I think vote for '(pop :ignore-error t).

John> Thanks, I'll give it a try.

John> (By the way, where is this sort of thing documented?  It's not
John> listed as an option in the `pop' section of the "Mail Source
John> Specifiers" node of gnus info.  What other keywords can I use
John> with my pop server?)

[...]

No. This is just my idea about your problem. It is not implemented.

--
Shenghuo ZHU

* Re: flaky pop server and "Mail source error" message
@ 1999-12-01 17:14   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-01 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> I think vote for '(pop :ignore-error t).

If the mail sources encounter an error while fetching, it may be very
serious.  Ignoring these errors could potentially mean losing mail, so
I'm not sure if this is the best way to go...