* Attaching compressed files with jka-compr on
@ 2001-02-08 17:06 Charles Sebold
From: Charles Sebold @ 2001-02-08 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just sent a .tar.bz2 file to someone (attached it to a message with
mml-attach-file), and I realized that, with jka-compr loaded, it
bunzip2'ed the message, rebzip2'ed it, and then sent it.  (Actually,
upon further investigation, it may have done all this as part of the
FCC; I'm no longer sure.)

Anyway, rather than have that happen, I thought I'd try to turn
auto-compression-mode off while all this is going on.

Here is my patch (against Oort Gnus 0.01, synced from CVS this morning):

[-- Attachment #2: Context diff to disable jka-compr temporarily --]

*** source/gnus/lisp/message.el	Wed Feb  7 14:23:00 2001
--- emacs/gnus/message.el	Thu Feb  8 10:55:54 2001
***************
*** 2275,2280 ****
--- 2275,2285 ----
    (let ((inhibit-read-only t))
      (put-text-property (point-min) (point-max) 'read-only nil))
    (message-fix-before-sending)
+   ;; turn off auto-compression-mode before managing attachments
+   (if (and (fboundp 'jka-compr-installed-p) (jka-compr-installed-p))
+       (progn
+         (setq jka-compr-temp-uninstalled-p t)
+         (auto-compression-mode 0)))
    (run-hooks 'message-send-hook)
    (message message-sending-message)
    (let ((alist message-send-method-alist)
***************
*** 2302,2307 ****
--- 2307,2318 ----
        (message-do-fcc)
        (save-excursion
  	(run-hooks 'message-sent-hook))
+       ;; Now turn auto-compression-mode back on if it was before
+       (if (and (boundp 'jka-compr-temp-uninstalled-p)
+                jka-compr-temp-uninstalled-p)
+           (progn
+             (setq jka-compr-temp-uninstalled-p nil)
+             (auto-compression-mode 1)))
        (message "Sending...done")
        ;; Mark the buffer as unmodified and delete auto-save.
        (set-buffer-modified-p nil)

I would love to hear if it is appopriate or not, and what I should have
done if not.  Originally I did this and added it to the appropriate
hooks but then I thought others might find this useful as well.
--
Charles Sebold
Random Answer to an Emacs Very Frequently Asked Question:

* Re: Attaching compressed files with jka-compr on
@ 2001-02-08 17:22 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-02-08 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Charles Sebold <csebold@ezl.com> writes:

> I just sent a .tar.bz2 file to someone (attached it to a message with
> mml-attach-file), and I realized that, with jka-compr loaded, it
> bunzip2'ed the message, rebzip2'ed it, and then sent it.  (Actually,
> upon further investigation, it may have done all this as part of the
> FCC; I'm no longer sure.)
>
> Anyway, rather than have that happen, I thought I'd try to turn
> auto-compression-mode off while all this is going on.
>
> Here is my patch (against Oort Gnus 0.01, synced from CVS this morning):
>
> I would love to hear if it is appopriate or not, and what I should have
> done if not.  Originally I did this and added it to the appropriate
> hooks but then I thought others might find this useful as well.

What you saw are just bogus messages.  Actually, jka-compr-handler has
been inhibited in this case (see mm-insert-file-contents).  But since
I didn't check why jka-compr still prints out the messages, I might be
wrong. Further investigation helps.

ShengHuo

--
(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '((".*" (signature (format "(setq gnus-posting-styles