* gnus-auto-center-summary off-center
@ 1999-08-20  2:54 Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-08-20  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ returned to its special container and
PGP Key: at a key server near you!  \ kept under refrigeration.

* Re: gnus-auto-center-summary off-center
@ 1999-08-28  1:03 ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-08-28  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ accelerate to dangerous speeds.

@ 1999-09-24 18:33   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-24 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> FWIW, summary centering is still off with pGnus 0.96.

Off in what way?  I still get point on the third line from the top,
like I've always had...

* Re: gnus-auto-center-summary off-center
@ 1999-09-24 20:39     ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-09-24 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ unknown glowing substance which fell to

* Re: gnus-auto-center-summary off-center
@ 1999-09-24 21:20       ` Shenghuo ZHU
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-09-24 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

 * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>  on Fri, 24 Sep 1999
 | Off in what way?  I still get point on the third line from the top,
 | like I've always had...

Rat> If I have a 5-line summary buffer and the group has 5 messages in
Rat> it (5 summary lines), when I select the 3rd or latter messages,
Rat> Gnus scrolls the buffer up 1 line so that only four summary lines
Rat> are displayed and a blank line above the buffer's mode line.

In XEmacs, that's a hard part. A summary buffer may include characters
of different font sizes. Therefore, it is difficult to predict how
many lines can be displayed in the buffer window. If Gnus predicts a
greater number than the number of lines can actually be displayed, the
cursor (the current line) may be scroll out of the summary buffer
window, then the cursor is located to a weird place (another line in
the window). Now, Gnus predicts a bit smaller number, so a blank line
may be displayed in the summary buffer.

In GNU Emacs, there is no such problem.

--
Shenghuo ZHU

* Re: gnus-auto-center-summary off-center
@ 1999-09-24 23:36         ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-09-24 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ away immediately. Seek shelter and cover

* Re: gnus-auto-center-summary off-center
@ 1999-09-25  5:23           ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-09-25  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rat> * Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu>  on Fri, 24 Sep 1999
Rat> | Now, Gnus predicts a bit smaller number, so a blank line may be displayed
Rat> | in the summary buffer.

Rat> Does Gnus use `window-displayed-height' in this calculation
Rat> instead of window-height?  It should.  At least as far as XEmacs
Rat> is concerned, use window-height for geometry calculations and
Rat> window-displayed-height to get the actual number of lines of text
Rat> displayed in the window -- regardless of variable text sizes.

Yes, it is used.

Rat> What function is responsible for this prediction?

gnus-xmas-summary-recenter in gnus-xmas.el.

--
Shenghuo ZHU

* Re: gnus-auto-center-summary off-center
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-25 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> In XEmacs, that's a hard part. A summary buffer may include characters
> of different font sizes. Therefore, it is difficult to predict how
> many lines can be displayed in the buffer window.

Yup.  I've now altered `gnus-xmas-summary-recenter' to show one more
line, though, and we'll see how that goes.  I have a feeling that it
might lead to some people getting a half-chopped-off line, but for me,
right now, it displays fine.

We'll see after 0.97 whether it's a success or not.  :-)

* Re: gnus-auto-center-summary off-center
@ 1999-09-26 18:19         ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-09-26 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

ZSH> In XEmacs, that's a hard part. A summary buffer may include
ZSH> characters of different font sizes. Therefore, it is difficult to
ZSH> predict how many lines can be displayed in the buffer window. If
ZSH> Gnus predicts a greater number than the number of lines can
ZSH> actually be displayed, the cursor (the current line) may be
ZSH> scroll out of the summary buffer window, then the cursor is
ZSH> located to a weird place (another line in the window). Now, Gnus
ZSH> predicts a bit smaller number, so a blank line may be displayed
ZSH> in the summary buffer.

ZSH> In GNU Emacs, there is no such problem.

Actually, there is a bug in gnus-auto-center-summary in both GNU Emacs
and XEmacs.  In newsgroups with long summary lines, such as clari.ALL,
when I turn lines truncation on (`gnus-summary-toggle-truncation'),
the cursor may leave the current summary line, if I enter last few
messages.

--
Shenghuo ZHU

* Re: gnus-auto-center-summary off-center
@ 1999-09-28  1:22           ` Shenghuo ZHU
                               ` (3 more replies)
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-09-28  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

LMI> Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>> In XEmacs, that's a hard part. A summary buffer may include characters
>> of different font sizes. Therefore, it is difficult to predict how
>> many lines can be displayed in the buffer window.

LMI> Yup.  I've now altered `gnus-xmas-summary-recenter' to show one
LMI> more line, though, and we'll see how that goes.  I have a feeling
LMI> that it might lead to some people getting a half-chopped-off
LMI> line, but for me, right now, it displays fine.

LMI> We'll see after 0.97 whether it's a success or not.  :-)

Not a success.

The half-chopped-off line causes the problem in XEmacs.

Suppose the current line be the last line. When enter the news, the
line is half chopped off, then the cursor move to the center of the
window, while the line is still in the bottom of the window and
half-chopped-off. This is the reason why I remove one line in 0.89.

--
Shenghuo ZHU

* Re: gnus-auto-center-summary off-center
@ 1999-09-28  2:22             ` Stainless Steel Rat
                               ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-09-28  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

--

@ 1999-09-28  2:49               ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-09-28  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

--

@ 1999-09-28  6:10               ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-09-28  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rat> What I think is happening is that the mode line bezel makes the
Rat> mode line "taller" than a line of text.  XEmacs laps the bezel
Rat> over the buffer text, producing your "half-chopped-off line".
Rat> This is not a bug, it is normal and correct behaviour for XEmacs.
Rat> When you select the last message in the summary buffer, XEmacs
Rat> scrolls up the entire window by 1 line so that the full text of
Rat> the line is displayed without being cropped.

Rat> What happens if you reduce the size of the mode line bezel to 0
Rat> with `(set-specifier modeline-shadow-thickness 0)'?  This will
Rat> make XEmacs' mode lines look like FSF Emacs mode lines and should
Rat> make the cropping problem go away.

Rat> I normally use XEmacs without mode line bezels.  Your "fix"
Rat> really screws up the display, I am sorry to say.

Unfortunately, it is not the case. The mode line bezel does not make
Gnus get wrong answer. In XEmacs, Gnus use `window-displayed-height'
to calculate the height of the window. I guess
`window-displayed-height' has count the thickness of the mode line
bezel. And I never said it is a bug of XEmacs.

But, it is the *displayed* height. When Gnus scrolls the summary
lines, some lines leaves the windows, and other lines enter. Then the
window-displayed-height may change, since the font size of lines may
be different. In the case that the last line is the current line, Gnus
may scroll it half-chopped-off or even out of the window.  This is the
bug I tried to fix.

--
Shenghuo ZHU

* Re: gnus-auto-center-summary off-center
@ 1999-09-28 14:46                 ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-09-28 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

--

@ 1999-09-29  8:59             ` Jan Vroonhof
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1999-09-29  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> | But, it is the *displayed* height. When Gnus scrolls the summary lines,
> | some lines leaves the windows, and other lines enter. Then the
> | window-displayed-height may change, since the font size of lines may be
> | different.  In the case that the last line is the current line, Gnus may
> | scroll it half-chopped-off or even out of the window.  This is the bug I
> | tried to fix.
>
> This is not actually a bug, per se.  It is a side effect of counting lines
> where the size of a line is not a constant.

It a side effect of counting lines where one should deal with pixels.
Note that XEmacs 21.2 contains an experimental partial scrolling of
the top line which could make this even worse. (The partial scrolling
is to deal with the Pictures larger than window issue).

What I don't understand is: what is wrong with calling 'recenter' or
'center-to-window-line'?

Jan

* Re: gnus-auto-center-summary off-center
@ 1999-09-29 16:44               ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-09-29 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

--

@ 1999-09-30 10:52             ` Jan Vroonhof
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1999-09-30 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> | What I don't understand is: what is wrong with calling 'recenter' or
> | 'center-to-window-line'?
>
> When there is variable height text in the summary buffer, the last line of
> the buffer is clipped by the mode line.  The current "fix" for this problem
> causes the entire summary buffer to be pushed up one line so that the last
> line is not clipped

Sorry for being dense, but it what way does that answer my question.
The XEmacs C version of recenter and friends are aware of the all the
actual line heights so why not use them?

Jan

* Re: gnus-auto-center-summary off-center
@ 1999-09-30 18:44               ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-09-30 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Warning: pregnant women, the elderly, and
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ children under 10 should avoid prolonged

* Re: gnus-auto-center-summary off-center
                               ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-10-01 12:45             ` Jan Vroonhof
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1999-10-01 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> | Sorry for being dense, but it what way does that answer my question.
> | The XEmacs C version of recenter and friends are aware of the all the
> | actual line heights so why not use them?
>
> I do not know that pGnus does not use them, so I guess I cannot answer this
> one.

I was hoping Larsi or Shengo could answer that.

Jan

* Re: gnus-auto-center-summary off-center
@ 1999-11-05 22:58               ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-05 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch> writes:

> What I don't understand is: what is wrong with calling 'recenter' or
> 'center-to-window-line'?

The thing that's, er, in dispute here is not how to actually update
the window, but how to compute which line we want to center on.

We want to have two lines above point, if we are not at the end of the
buffer, and then we want to just let point go down to the line it
would naturally be on.  If you get my drift.

The problem is with half-cut-off lines, and the "go down to the line"
part.  In some cases, the current algorithm seems to miscompute
something somewhere (or XEmacs is not forthright in its information;
it's a somewhat obscure problem), and when typing `M-> SPC' (or the
like), point will jump up to the middle of the buffer, leaving the
user very confused.

Or to put it more succinctly -- when skipping to the final line, and
the final line is displayed in a half-cut-off fashion, something will
miscompute.  Shenghou's fix makes this problem go away, but at the
price of showing a half-blank line, always, at the bottom of the
summary buffer.