* Agent does not send mail immediately
@ 2001-02-02 22:25 Gerd Boerrigter
From: Gerd Boerrigter @ 2001-02-02 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I just found out today, why my mails from last week where not send.
They still where in the 'nndraft:queue' box.  I might use gnus in a
strange way.  Everything is locally available except one IMAP-Server I
like to use without downloading the mails.  So nnimap is the right
tool for that.  And reading mail and news just works great with that
setup, even agentized -- thanks ShengHuo.

But if I send a mail, I like to use my local sendmail instead of the
agent.  I think there is no predefined way to do that.  Is there a
suitable hook, to set `message-send-mail-function' back to the
original value?  Or is it better to modify `gnus-agentize' or
`gnus-agent-send-mail' to get the desired behavior?  I am not sure,
what to do.

BTW, I am not sure if the docstring for 'gnus-agentize' is still
correct regarding the modified variables.  It seems that
`gnus-before-startup-hook' and `gnus-post-method' are not modified.
Instead `gnus-setup-news-hook' is.

Thanks,
Gerd

* Re: Agent does not send mail immediately
@ 2001-02-02 22:45 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-02-02 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerd Boerrigter <gerd.boerrigter@gmx.net> writes:

> But if I send a mail, I like to use my local sendmail instead of the
> agent.  I think there is no predefined way to do that.  Is there a
> suitable hook, to set `message-send-mail-function' back to the
> original value?  Or is it better to modify `gnus-agentize' or
> `gnus-agent-send-mail' to get the desired behavior?  I am not sure,
> what to do.

(if (and (boundp 'gnus-agent-send-mail-function)
         gnus-agent-send-mail-function) ;; agentized?
    (setq message-send-mail-function gnus-agent-send-mail-function)
  (setq gnus-agent-send-mail-function message-send-mail-function))

This code works for me.

> BTW, I am not sure if the docstring for 'gnus-agentize' is still
> correct regarding the modified variables.  It seems that
> `gnus-before-startup-hook' and `gnus-post-method' are not modified.
> Instead `gnus-setup-news-hook' is.

Fixed.

ShengHuo

--
(setq gnus-posting-styles '((".*" (signature-file "~/.signature"))))

* Re: Agent does not send mail immediately
@ 2001-02-04 13:20   ` Gerd Boerrigter
From: Gerd Boerrigter @ 2001-02-04 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> > But if I send a mail, I like to use my local sendmail instead of the
> > agent.  I think there is no predefined way to do that.
> [...]
>
> (if (and (boundp 'gnus-agent-send-mail-function)
>          gnus-agent-send-mail-function) ;; agentized?
>     (setq message-send-mail-function gnus-agent-send-mail-function)
>   (setq gnus-agent-send-mail-function message-send-mail-function))
>
> This code works for me.

For me, too, thank.  Sorry for looking stupid, but I am not quite
sure, where to put it.  Right after gnus-agentize looks a bit dull.

@ 2001-02-04 14:38     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-02-04 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerd Boerrigter <gerd.boerrigter@gmx.net> writes:

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>
> > > But if I send a mail, I like to use my local sendmail instead of the
> > > agent.  I think there is no predefined way to do that.
> > [...]
> >
> > (if (and (boundp 'gnus-agent-send-mail-function)
> >          gnus-agent-send-mail-function) ;; agentized?
> >     (setq message-send-mail-function gnus-agent-send-mail-function)
> >   (setq gnus-agent-send-mail-function message-send-mail-function))
> >
> > This code works for me.
>
> For me, too, thank.  Sorry for looking stupid, but I am not quite
> sure, where to put it.  Right after gnus-agentize looks a bit dull.

Both are OK, before or after gnus-agentize.

ShengHuo

--
(setq gnus-posting-styles '((".*" (signature-file "~/.signature"))))