* gnus-5.8.7 tries to put crashbox in /: permission denied, natch
@ 2000-07-10 14:58 Chris Shenton
From: Chris Shenton @ 2000-07-10 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Something I did (^g?) caused email mail slurping from ~/Mailbox to
fail and it apparently created an .emacs-crash-mail-box. I didn't
notice this at the time so I may not have the name quite
right. Anyway, I've occasionally seen this before and emacs figures
it out the next time I go to read mail.

There was a next time I wanted to read mail, and I tried, but Gnus
complained with a message like "Cannot create /gnus-emacs-crashbox"
(again, I probably don't have the name right, it went away.)

Note that it's trying to put it in "/", that part I am quoting
correctly :-). So it failed, and repeated attempts also failed,
naturally.

I ended up removing the .emacs-crash-mail-box by hand (after reading
all the messages "by hand") and now gnus is happy again. But is it
trying to put crash boxes in the wrong dir, guessing the user home dir
wrong?

Thanks.

* Re: gnus-5.8.7 tries to put crashbox in /: permission denied, natch
@ 2000-07-10 15:10 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-07-10 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com> writes:

> Something I did (^g?) caused email mail slurping from ~/Mailbox to
> fail and it apparently created an .emacs-crash-mail-box. I didn't
> notice this at the time so I may not have the name quite
> right. Anyway, I've occasionally seen this before and emacs figures
> it out the next time I go to read mail.
>
> There was a next time I wanted to read mail, and I tried, but Gnus
> complained with a message like "Cannot create /gnus-emacs-crashbox"
> (again, I probably don't have the name right, it went away.)
>
> Note that it's trying to put it in "/", that part I am quoting
> correctly :-). So it failed, and repeated attempts also failed,
> naturally.
>
> I ended up removing the .emacs-crash-mail-box by hand (after reading
> all the messages "by hand") and now gnus is happy again. But is it
> trying to put crash boxes in the wrong dir, guessing the user home dir
> wrong?

What is your operating system? What is the value of mail-sources?

Does it help to change the value of mail-source-crash-box to a path
name without "~"?

ShengHuo