From: Chris Richards <cjr@netpliance.net>
Subject: New Gnus User
Date: 05 Feb 2000 17:09:57 -0600	[thread overview]

Oh my!  Look at the can of worms I opened this weekend.

I have (unfortunately) had a long procession through a score of email
clients starting way back in 1990.  Never am I fully satisfied with
the client.  Alas, I have come to Gnus.

I have been experimenting with Gnus insofarasmuch as setting up test
spools so I don't pollute (or lose!) my current mail.

I think I have gotten the hang of nnfolder.  Creating a new folder is
still a mystery.  I *think* I have used split and then F, U to create
it; this just doesn't seem right.  But other than that, not too many
hitches.  I especially like the cross-posting feature though I think I
have seen some oddities but can't put my finger on it.

...which brings me to nnimap.  I have seen references to an nnimap
mailing list in the archives.  However, the list address eludes me.
For now, I'll direct my question at this audience.

Here is the relevant part of my .gnus file.

    ------------------------------ cut here --------------------------

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnfolder ""
                  (nnfolder-get-new-mail 't))
        (nnimap "np"
                (nnimap-server-address "mail.netpliance.net")
                (nnimap-list-pattern ".*")
                (nnimap-expunge-on-close 'ask)
                (nnimap-split-crosspost 't)
                (nnimap-split-inbox "INBOX"))))

(setq nnimap-split-rule
                 '(("INBOX.netpliance" "^From:.*netpliance.*")
                   ("INBOX.private"    "")))

    ------------------------------ cut here --------------------------

As you can see, I am cross-posting.  However, it seems that though the
cross-posting works, reading one of the cross-posted messages does not
change the state of the message in the other IMAP groups.  Is this a
limitation of nnimap?

(As an aside, I was unable to set nnimap-split-rule within the nnimap
"np" section.  I suppose if I have multiple nnimap accounts, this
could be troublesome.)

Lastly, gnus does not seem to ask if I want to expunge my IMAP groups
on close even though I have it set.

Cheers,
cjr