From: michael lamoureux <lamour@engin.umich.edu>
Subject: Re: mail
Date: 20 May 1996 17:25:41 -0400	[thread overview]

 "steven" == Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:

>>>>>> "michael" == michael lamoureux <lamour@engin.umich.edu> writes:

michael> Also, I can't get supercite to work even though I have this set:

steven> 	http://www.miranova.com/~steve/gnus-faq.html#Q2_12

This wasn't a very helpful answer.  I had already read the FAQ about 3
times, setup.el twice, and parts of the gnus manual several times
before posting.  The problem (which was probably totally obvious to
everyone else) was that it's "message-cite-function" not
"message-cite-hook".  I could have stared at it for hours and still
not noticed that if someone else hadn't sent me mail to point it out
(and I even stared at the mail for a few minutes before I noticed).
Somehow my brain was interpreting those two to be equal.

Other things:

I hate directories with capital letters in them.  Why do I have to
change so many variables to get everything in lower-case "news" and
"mail" directories?  Shouldn't the defaults be set up a little more
hierarchically?

It's not totally clear to me where score files for mail should go
(assuming that I have news stuff in "news" and mail stuff in "mail").
All I have now is a score file to turn off scoring in nnml groups, so,
I just put a copy in both dirs just in case, but I guess I should
really figure out which one gnus is using, before I start adding any
scoring rules for mailing lists.

The one thing that's bugging me a little about reading mail in gnus is
that, well, it's too much like a newsreader.  ;-)   Is there any easy
way to make mail groups with no unread messages still be visible and
make read messages still be visible within the groups (even if it's a
special keystroke to bring them up, I don't care...I kind of like them
out of the way, but I'd like to be able to bring them up easily when I
need to read old messages).  the only thing I can think of would maybe
be to browse the server, and read them that way.  How does everyone
else deal with reading old mail?

um, what happened to the help group.  It used to be in some file
called doc.txt or something like that, but that file isn't in the
latest distributions (I just noticed it was missing the other day, but
it may have been missing for quite a while now).  I still have the
group that was created back in the beginning of time which points at
that file.  What did I miss?

thanks,
Michael