From: Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com>
Subject: Re: Help with Message Sorting!
Date: 16 Jul 1998 15:20:23 -0400	[thread overview]

    Justin> Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
    >> I need to sort my message threads, and the messages within the threads,
    >> in order of receipt.  This seems to me to be only logical since I want
    >> to read messages in the order they were posted, no?

    Justin> There are a couple of things in your request that I am unclear on:

    Justin> Do you want to sort by receipt time or sending time?  You say both
    Justin> as though they were interchangeable, but they are quite different.

Hmmmm.  I want to be able to read the messages in the order they were intended
to be read! :-) IOW I want to see answers following the question.  Ever since
switching mail servers from Unix to M$ Exchange I am always seeing the most
recent messages first - the answer before the question.  Having said that, I
suppose I mean sorting by send time.

    Justin> Do you want threading, or sorting-by-date after sorting-by-subject?
    Justin> Often, messages in a grouping/thread/whatever are either in
    Justin> chronological order or are threaded, but they cannot usually be
    Justin> both.

I want threading.  That's paramount.  I can't fathom clients that can't thread
messages together (M$ Outlook 98).  Within a thread, I want messages to be
sorted chronologically.

Oh!  One sec!  Are you saying that 'threading' is exclusive of 'sorting'?
Maybe that's my problem.  Maybe the Exchange Server's method of assigning IDs
used by threads is what's scrweing up my ordering.

If that's the case, what do I want to do instead that would be the equivalent
of thrading?  I want all messages with the same subject to be listed together
under a single entry, and sorted by date within the thread.  Can do?

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 505-2795
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
                                       E-mail: jcolman@jnc.com
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com