From: Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com>
Subject: Re: gnus-registry question
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:25:28 -0500	[thread overview]

   TZ> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, colman@ppllc.com wrote:
   >> How about if I send an email to someone and gcc it to a folder.
   >> Will the registry note that my outgoing email was filed somewhere
   >> and automatically file the reply?  I'm not sure this works.  Under
   >> this situation, I make sure to explitly read the gcc'ed email that I
   >> just sent in order to make dure that the registry takes note.  When
   >> I do this, the reply is file correctly.  Otherwise, I think not.

   TZ> The registry catches spooling, moving, copying, and deletion of
   TZ> messages.  You can always check manually if it did what it should
   TZ> have by raising the value of the gnus-verbose variable (10 is good,
   TZ> albeit temporarily).  In the Messages buffer, you'll see the
   TZ> registry's messages.

   >> What about if I reply to an email and then manually move that email
   >> to another folder.  I know that the registry will take note of the
   >> move.  But the reply to the email I sent is a follow-up to _my_ new
   >> message, not to the email that I moved.  Will the registry track
   >> that?  Is my question making sense?

   TZ> The registry will catch the first reference it can track.  So, if the
   TZ> message that's incoming has references A and B, and A is in group P
   TZ> but B in group Q, then A wins (I'm pretty sure the references are
   TZ> checked in the expected order).

   TZ> Again, look at the Messages buffer to be sure, but I'm pretty sure
   TZ> that's what will happen, and it's what my testing has shown.  As you
   TZ> know, the gnus-registry is not stable, so any bugs or quirks you
   TZ> uncover are greatly appreciated.

I did find a situation where it is broken.  I have a folder where the gcc is
set to archive the message into the same folder.  I used 'C-u a' to send a
message using that folder's attributes.  I made a point of NOT opening that
folder again.  When I next split my mail after I had received a reply the
reply message did NOT get filed correctly.  I then moved the reply message
back to my INBOX and tried again.  This time, too, it was misfiled.  I again
copied the message back to my INBOX.  This time, however, I opened up the
folder where my initial emial was filed and read that email.  This registered
my original with the registry.  When I now tried splitting, the reply was
filed correctly.

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                    Phone: (201) 209-2467
Harborside Financial Center                 Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza Two                          E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
Jersey City, NJ 07311                 www.principiapartners.com