* Rendering HTML Emails
@ 2008-02-17  3:58 Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2008-02-17  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm having trouble handling emails containing links to web pages and
emails that contain HTML MIME attachements.  How does one set up gnus to
do the following:

1) If I click on a link, launch a browser to show me the page.  I
   configured browse-url to launch firefox.  When I click on a link,
   firefox is launched but it only shows me default homepage.

2) How do I render HTML included in an email. Gnus shows me a mime
   button which, when clicked, opens to show me HTML.  How do I get that
   rendered?

TIA!

...Jake

--
Jake Colman
Director of Software Development

* Re: Rendering HTML Emails
@ 2008-02-18  9:10 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-02-18  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

Hi Jake,

> 1) If I click on a link, launch a browser to show me the page.  I
>    configured browse-url to launch firefox.  When I click on a link,
>    firefox is launched but it only shows me default homepage.

How did you configure it?  Did you set browse-url-browser-function to
browse-url-firefox?  If yes, what does

  (browse-url-firefox "http://www.gnus.org") <-- Press C-x C-e here!

do?  (If it doesn't open firefox at gnus.org, then that's your problem.
Beside not being gnus-related I wouldn't know what's the solution.)

> 2) How do I render HTML included in an email. Gnus shows me a mime
>    button which, when clicked, opens to show me HTML.  How do I get that
>    rendered?

I use emacs-w3m [1] to render html email:

  (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)
  (setq mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)
  (setq mm-inline-large-images t)

Of course, if you click a link in a article buffer rendered by w3m it
will be opened with w3m.  But you can fire up your firefox with
browse-url-at-point and friends.

Bye,
Tassilo
__________
[1] http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/

* Re: Rendering HTML Emails
@ 2008-02-18 14:24   ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2008-02-18 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

   TH> Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
   TH> Hi Jake,

   >> 1) If I click on a link, launch a browser to show me the page.  I
   >> configured browse-url to launch firefox.  When I click on a link,
   >> firefox is launched but it only shows me default homepage.

   TH> How did you configure it?  Did you set
   TH> browse-url-browser-function to browse-url-firefox?  If yes, what
   TH> does

   TH>   (browse-url-firefox "http://www.gnus.org") <-- Press C-x C-e here!

   TH> do?  (If it doesn't open firefox at gnus.org, then that's your
   TH> problem.  Beside not being gnus-related I wouldn't know what's
   TH> the solution.)

Very odd.  I can get firefox to launch but it won't honor the URL.  But
if I do the same thing from the Unix command-line it works fine.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

   >> 2) How do I render HTML included in an email. Gnus shows me a mime
   >> button which, when clicked, opens to show me HTML.  How do I get that
   >> rendered?

   TH> I use emacs-w3m [1] to render html email:

   TH>   (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)
   TH>   (setq mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)
   TH>   (setq mm-inline-large-images t)

   TH> Of course, if you click a link in a article buffer rendered by w3m it
   TH> will be opened with w3m.  But you can fire up your firefox with
   TH> browse-url-at-point and friends.

This worked for me.  Although I used 'w3 instead of 'w3m.  Thanks.

--

@ 2008-02-18 14:52     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-02-18 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

Hi Jake,

>    TH>   (browse-url-firefox "http://www.gnus.org") <-- Press C-x C-e here!
>
>    TH> do?  (If it doesn't open firefox at gnus.org, then that's your
>    TH> problem.  Beside not being gnus-related I wouldn't know what's
>    TH> the solution.)
>
> Very odd.  I can get firefox to launch but it won't honor the URL.
> But if I do the same thing from the Unix command-line it works fine.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this?

`browse-url-firefox' doesn't just issue "firefox URL", but it assembles
some other options to the command (openURL, new-tab, new-window).  Have
a look at the definition of the command.  I suspect you use a version of
firefox that doesn't understand one of those.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Rendering HTML Emails
@ 2008-02-20 14:28   ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2008-02-20 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

   TH> Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
   TH> Hi Jake,

   >> 1) If I click on a link, launch a browser to show me the page.  I
   >> configured browse-url to launch firefox.  When I click on a link,
   >> firefox is launched but it only shows me default homepage.

   TH> How did you configure it?  Did you set browse-url-browser-function to
   TH> browse-url-firefox?  If yes, what does

   TH>   (browse-url-firefox "http://www.gnus.org") <-- Press C-x C-e here!

   TH> do?  (If it doesn't open firefox at gnus.org, then that's your problem.
   TH> Beside not being gnus-related I wouldn't know what's the solution.)

   >> 2) How do I render HTML included in an email. Gnus shows me a mime
   >> button which, when clicked, opens to show me HTML.  How do I get that
   >> rendered?

   TH> I use emacs-w3m [1] to render html email:

   TH>   (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)
   TH>   (setq mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)
   TH>   (setq mm-inline-large-images t)

   TH> Of course, if you click a link in a article buffer rendered by w3m it
   TH> will be opened with w3m.  But you can fire up your firefox with
   TH> browse-url-at-point and friends.

The problem is that browse-url is using a syntax that is no longer valid
for firefox 2.0.  I edited browse-url to not use the '-remote' syntax
and now it all works fine.

So who maintains browse-url?