From: Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com>
To: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
Subject: Re: Problems with gnus-registry
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 17:24:18 -0500	[thread overview]

   TZ> On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 16:51:44 -0500 Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> wrote:

   Jake> If I send an email, does the registry track anything about the sent
   Jake> email so that it knows where to possibly file a reply?  Or is it
   Jake> only anything sent/received after that initial reply is processed
   Jake> (that is, that something was done to it to cause the registry to see
   Jake> it) that will be auto-filed by the registry?

   TZ> When you send an e-mail, there is no article and thus no group name
   TZ> for the registry to notice.

   TZ> If the article has a gcc, that will trigger the registry when the copy
   TZ> is spooled.  The outgoing article in itself doesn't do anything,
   TZ> though.

   TZ> I could add a mail send hook to do this, but it could be incorrect.
   TZ> For instance, if you send to ding while in group A but you get a copy
   TZ> of the mail back into group B, You want followups in B but they'll go
   TZ> to A.  Maybe if the outbound mail record was a low-priority hint it
   TZ> could work, but I don't like it much and I think it's confusing to
   TZ> users.

So with a gcc, when the backend causes the sent article to spool to the
gcc-ed folder, the registry will register that article.  This will work for
sent emails as well since it is the gcc that will make the registry see it.
Is this all correct?

   Jake> Here is what I am getting to:

   Jake> 1) I sent an email from a specific group but nothing was entered into the
   Jake> registry at all.  If so, how will replies end up in the same group?

   TZ> (I assume first you saved the registry file if you used grep on it)

   TZ> It depends on whether there was a gcc.  Without gcc, nothing would be
   TZ> registered.

   Jake> 2) If I send email from the main gnus page (outside of any specific
   Jake>    group) or from a group that does not specify a gcc-self, the
   Jake>    email has an automatic gcc-self of an Archive group.  In this
   Jake>    way, I automatically have a copy of all emails that I send.  Does
   Jake>    this automatic copy to an Archive group mean that my replies
   Jake>    might end up there as well?  If so, that's an issue.  I rarely,
   Jake>    if ever, go to the Archive group unless I need to see when a
   Jake>    message was sent.

   TZ> You can set your archive group to be ignored, see
   TZ> gnus-registry-ignored-groups.

My archive group is defined through the following code:

  (setq gnus-message-archive-group
        '((concat "nnimap+hamilton:Archive/"
                  (format-time-string "%Y-%m" (current-time)))))

How can I set gnus-registry-ignored-groups so that I don't have my replies
registered to the archive (in the absence of any overriding gcc of course).

   Jake> Related to my original problem, if I track the extras of subject and sender,
   Jake> are those guaranteed to work regardless of whether Exchange screws up the
   Jake> standard headers?

   TZ> They are not guaranteed:

   TZ> - if you trim your registry, records will be lost

I am not trimming anymore.

   TZ> - subject and sender tracking is experimental and works OK for me, but
   TZ>   you may discover bugs

   TZ> - multiple matches for a subject or a sender will disqualify the match,
   TZ>   to avoid ambiguous results

How can I test if that is what's going on?

It is pretty clear that some of my emails are coming in without the standard
headers that the registry is looking for.  But one would think that sender
and subject would always be found!  I'd love to help shake this out for you
that I can get more of my emails handled by the registry.

   TZ> If you have ideas on improving any part of the registry, let me know
   TZ> what you think.

Certainly the level of support does not need any improvement!

...Jake

--
Jake Colman
Director of Software Development