* Invalid Data on Line 1 - Please Help!
@ 2003-10-27 15:41 Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2003-10-27 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've posted this before and have not gotton back anything useful  Someone
suggested using toggle-debug-on-error but this is not considered an elisp
error.  It is just an error printed by gnus.

This is not making any sense to me!  Everything used to work fine for years.
Now it's crapping out quite regularly.  How can I trace down what's going on?
 Maybe I have corruption somwhere?  How can I find it?

Is there a way to me blow eveything away and refresh my gnus config from
scratch?  How can I do this?

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                    Phone: (201) 209-2467
Harborside Financial Center                 Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza Two                          E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
Jersey City, NJ 07311                 www.principiapartners.com

* Re: Invalid Data on Line 1 - Please Help!
@ 2003-10-30 18:54 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-10-30 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> I've posted this before and have not gotton back anything useful  Someone
> suggested using toggle-debug-on-error but this is not considered an elisp
> error.  It is just an error printed by gnus.
>
> This is not making any sense to me!  Everything used to work fine for years.
> Now it's crapping out quite regularly.  How can I trace down what's going on?
>  Maybe I have corruption somwhere?  How can I find it?

Jake,
Here's what I'd like you to do.

1) Eval (c-h v) load-path to see the list of directories from which
   libraries are loaded.  Look for the gnus directory.

2) Edit the gnus-util.el file in that directory.  Look for the
   gnus-parse-without-error macro.  Insert (debug) as I've shown
   below.

(defmacro gnus-parse-without-error (&rest body)
  "Allow continuing onto the next line even if an error occurs."
  `(while (not (eobp))
     (condition-case ()
	 (progn
	   ,@body
	   (goto-char (point-max)))
       (error
(debug)
	(gnus-error 4 "Invalid data on line %d"
		    (count-lines (point-min) (point)))
	(forward-line 1)))))

4) Do M-x load-library <ret>gnus-util.el<ret>
      M-x load-library <ret>nnagent.el<ret>
      M-x load-library <ret>gnus-sum.el<ret>
4) Start gnus as usual.
5) Proceed until you get thrown into the debugger.

6) While in the debugger, eval (current-buffer).  If that buffer isn't
   visible, select it so that you can see what is wrong with line 1.

7) Exit gnus, edit the broken file to fix line 1, then start gnus to
   see if you're OK.

I'd appreciate it if you'd post which file had the invalid line and
also the invalid line itself.  Gnus may not be able to avoid the error
but it should, if at all possible, handle it with more grace.

Kevin

* Re: Invalid Data on Line 1 - Please Help!
@ 2003-10-30 19:39   ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2003-10-30 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)