* Help With Select Method
@ 2003-10-27 15:46 Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2003-10-27 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

The formal way to configure select methods is to use gnus-select-method to
point to a news server and gnus-secondary-select-methods to point to ther
sources such as an IMAP server?

My company recently stopped providing access to a news server.  My current
configuration, given what I understand as stated above, is as follows:

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nntp "dummy"
             (nntp-address "foo.bar.com")
             )
      )

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '(
        (nnimap "hamilton"
                (nnimap-list-pattern "*")
                (nnimap-expunge-on-close always)
                )
        ))

Is there a better way to do this?  How can I configure things if I want my
primary to be an IMAP server and to not have a news server?

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                    Phone: (201) 209-2467
Harborside Financial Center                 Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza Two                          E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
Jersey City, NJ 07311                 www.principiapartners.com

* Re: Help With Select Method
@ 2003-10-27 17:39     ` Ian Dobbie
From: Ian Dobbie @ 2003-10-27 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> But don't forget to C-k all existing nnimap groups before the move,
> otherwise there will be trouble.  Generally, I think it is better to
> use a nnil primary server, and have all servers as secondary.

Why is this? I have nnml as my primary method and nntp (which comes
through the firewall via an ssh tunnel) as foreign servers. Is there
anything I am missing out on by this config?

Ian

* Re: Help With Select Method
@ 2003-10-28  0:28 ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2003-10-28  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

nnnil is your friend.  I run gnus just for mail these days.

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil))

--
Danny Dick-Fung Siu              mailto:dsiu@adobe.com
Advanced Technology Group @ Adobe Systems Incorporated

@ 2003-10-28 11:03 ` David Hanak
From: David Hanak @ 2003-10-28 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Jake Colman wrote:

> Is there a better way to do this?  How can I configure things if I want my
> primary to be an IMAP server and to not have a news server?

It is not mandatory to have an nntp server declared as a primary select
method.  I, for one, have nnml as my primary select method, an nnmaildir as
my only secondary select method, and several nntp servers configured as
foreign servers (i.e., not appearing in .gnus, just added to the list of
servers).

So try:

(setq gnus-select-method
        '(nnimap "hamilton"
                 (nnimap-list-pattern "*")
                 (nnimap-expunge-on-close always)
                 ))

It should work fine.

--
David Hanak
                                http://www.inf.bme.hu/~dhanak/index_en.html

* Re: Help With Select Method
@ 2003-10-28 17:29   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-10-28 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

@ 2003-10-28 18:01     ` Christopher Tessone
From: Christopher Tessone @ 2003-10-28 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Simon> But don't forget to C-k all existing nnimap groups before
    Simon> the move, otherwise there will be trouble.  Generally, I
    Simon> think it is better to use a nnil primary server, and have
    Simon> all servers as secondary.

How does one do this?  I tried putting '(nnil) as the primary select
method and was told it couldn't load the file nnil...

Cheers,
Chris

--
Christopher A. Tessone
Knox College, Galesburg, Illinois

---

* Re: Help With Select Method
@ 2003-10-28 18:28       ` Simon Josefsson
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-10-28 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Christopher Tessone <tessone@polyglut.net> writes:

>     Simon> But don't forget to C-k all existing nnimap groups before
>     Simon> the move, otherwise there will be trouble.  Generally, I
>     Simon> think it is better to use a nnil primary server, and have
>     Simon> all servers as secondary.
>
> How does one do this?  I tried putting '(nnil) as the primary select
> method and was told it couldn't load the file nnil...

Hm, it seems it is called nnnil.  Sorry for the typo.  Perhaps you
also need a server name, I'm not sure.  E.g., '(nnnil "").

* Re: Help With Select Method
@ 2003-10-28 18:30       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-10-28 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Ian Dobbie <ian.dobbie@nuigalway.ie> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> But don't forget to C-k all existing nnimap groups before the move,
>> otherwise there will be trouble.  Generally, I think it is better to
>> use a nnil primary server, and have all servers as secondary.
>
> Why is this? I have nnml as my primary method and nntp (which comes
> through the firewall via an ssh tunnel) as foreign servers. Is there
> anything I am missing out on by this config?

There shouldn't be any problems, but you need to remember which server
is primary and which are secondary when specifying fully qualified
group names, and stuff.  If everything is on the secondary level, you
can forget about the differences, and always type nnfoo+bar:baz.

* Re: Help With Select Method
@ 2003-10-28 19:03         ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2003-10-28 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hm, it seems it is called nnnil.  Sorry for the typo.  Perhaps you
> also need a server name, I'm not sure.  E.g., '(nnnil "").

This is what I use:

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nnnil ""))

--
Josh Huber

* Re: Help With Select Method
@ 2003-10-28 19:08         ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2003-10-28 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

   >> How does one do this?  I tried putting '(nnil) as the primary select
   >> method and was told it couldn't load the file nnil...

   SJ> Hm, it seems it is called nnnil.  Sorry for the typo.  Perhaps you
   SJ> also need a server name, I'm not sure.  E.g., '(nnnil "").

Nope.  This is all you need:

@ 2003-10-30  9:37         ` David Hanak
From: David Hanak @ 2003-10-30  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> Hm, it seems it is called nnnil.  Sorry for the typo.  Perhaps you
> also need a server name, I'm not sure.  E.g., '(nnnil "").

nnnil is not mentioned in the Gnus info files at all.  Hmm.  Shouldn't that
be fixed?

--

@ 2003-10-30 11:08           ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-10-30 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

David Hanak <dhanak@inf.bme.hu> writes:

> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
>> Hm, it seems it is called nnnil.  Sorry for the typo.  Perhaps you
>> also need a server name, I'm not sure.  E.g., '(nnnil "").
>
> nnnil is not mentioned in the Gnus info files at all.  Hmm.  Shouldn't that
> be fixed?

Definitely!  Any takers?