* Re: Those groups levels again
@ 2002-10-20 20:14 Unknown
From: Unknown @ 2002-10-20 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@pilgrim.umass.edu>
Date: 18 Nov 1995 02:47:00 -0500

Hi,
	I've been following the topics topic with great interest, and
 even have taken the first step (so now I have a large number of
 groups filed under misc ;-), and I have these questions:
	a) How does one reorder the topics in the buffer?
	b) are topics hierarchical? I would like to have two top level
	   topics called, say, by level, and by subject, and by
	   turning the unique thing off, have each group belong to two
	   places under the hierarchy, so I may peruse news in a
	   sequence as the mood takes me. possible?

	manoj

-- "Truth never comes into the world but like a bastard, to the ignominy
 of him that brought her birth." Milton

Manoj Srivastava         Project Pilgrim, Department of Computer Science
Phone: (413) 545-3918             A143B Lederle Graduate Research Center
Fax: (413) 545-1249       University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003
email:srivasta@pilgrim.umass.edu http://www.pilgrim.umass.edu/~srivasta/

From: Unknown @ 2002-10-20 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@plymouth.pilgrim.umass.edu>
Date: 20 Nov 1995 17:29:33 -0500

Hi,

 Lars> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@pilgrim.umass.edu> writes:

 >> a) How does one reorder the topics in the buffer?

 Lars> Good question.  I don't think you can.  I've added it to the
 Lars> todo list.  Perhaps changing the order in `gnus-group-topics'
 Lars> will help, although that's not documented.  And may not work.

	Ummm, I never set gnus-group-topic directly.  I had a strange
 and fantastic layout planned, and the thought of all those regular
 expressions made my head ache.  So, lazy soul that I am, I just went
 into the Group buffer and used `G t', which is permitted (or at least
 condoned), as per the docs.  Will this create/modify
 gnus-group-topics? (I can't tell, since I fled back to all groups
 under misc when I discovered I had not the faintest idea about how to
 reorder the topics).  I guess I could totally plan ahead, and create
 the topics in reverse order of how I want them displayed, but that
 makes my head ache too.

	glumly yours,

		manoj

-- It is better to never have tried anything than to have tried
 something and failed. motto of jerks, weenies and losers everywhere

       [not found]         ` <gvx91lext3f.fsf@plymouth.pilgrim.umass.edu>
@ 1995-11-20 16:43           ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1995-11-20 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

MS> 	a) How does one reorder the topics in the buffer?

Topics appear only to be ordered by the order in which you have them
defined in the variable gnus-group-topics.  The first topic in the list
will be first in the Group buffer, etc.  This puts the "Misc" topic always
last.

--
Jack Vinson                                                  Sunderland, MA
jvinson@cheux.ecs.umass.edu    <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/home.html>

@ 1995-11-19  7:43           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-19  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@pilgrim.umass.edu> writes:

> 	a) How does one reorder the topics in the buffer?

Good question.  I don't think you can.  I've added it to the todo
list.  Perhaps changing the order in `gnus-group-topics' will help,
although that's not documented.  And may not work.

> 	b) are topics hierarchical?

Not currently, but it's on the todo list.

>          I would like to have two top level topics called, say, by
> level, and by subject, and by turning the unique thing off, have
> each group belong to two places under the hierarchy, so I may peruse
> news in a sequence as the mood takes me. possible?

Yes, that sounds like a good idea, and I think it will be possible.

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: Those groups levels again
@ 1995-11-18  6:49       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
       [not found]         ` <gvx91lext3f.fsf@plymouth.pilgrim.umass.edu>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-18  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@ccs.neu.edu> writes:

> So, if bubbling is turned on, each time you enter a group it's rank
> rises within that level and it's order in the list will change if the
> new rank is higher than the other groups in the "block", right?

The score rises, but a group on level x will always have a higher rank
than a group on level x+1, no matter what the score is.

> How do you go about having this work for some groups (such as
> comp.unix.*) but not others (rec.arts.*)? If this is handled by levels
> then I need to allocate two levels for each block of groups, one for the
> groups that bubble and one for those that don't. With 7 useable levels
> that doesn't leave much room to work with. Or I could come up with yet
> another hideously ugly regexp for groups that do or don't bubble....

Well...  I'd imagine most people would either want bubbling -- or they
don't want bubbling.  Hideously ugly regexps and/or group parameters
can be used to fine-tune this, perhaps.  Or perhaps people can write
their own sorting functions.  (Bubbling is done simply by sorting the
groups over the ranks of the groups.  Other "bubbly" sorting schemes
is possible.  Or one could forego sorting altogether and do "local"
(aka. "real" bubbling).)

> This is the kind of increased complexity and size I'm talking about.

I think it nice having a program that is sufficiently complex that
nobody will ever learn all parts of it.  :-)

--
Home is where the cat is.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-18  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Janne Sinkkonen <janne@avocado.pc.helsinki.fi> writes:

> Levels are useful, but there's still too much those groups. I would
> like to see a hierarchical group buffer. If that's too far out, topics
> would be a good substitute. By topic I mean, I could say "I want the
> comp groups", and then I get comp groups plus some general stuff like
> mail groups, and other things like photography groups vanish
> temporarily out of sight. I don't know what you mean by topics, though.

That's what I mean by topics, too.  :-)  It's included in September
Gnus.

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: Those groups levels again
@ 1995-11-13 23:15     ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1995-11-13 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@ccs.neu.edu>          \ Warning: pregnant women, the elderly, and
PGP Public Key: Ask for one today!  \ children under 10 should avoid prolonged

* Re: Those groups levels again
@ 1995-11-13 23:06     ` Scott Blachowicz
From: Scott Blachowicz @ 1995-11-13 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

larsi@ifi.uio.no (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen) wrote:

> And that is possible by combining levels and scores.  (New Gnuspeak
> word -- "rank".  The rank of a group is defined as a combination of
> the level and the score.)

Perhaps a revised glossary of the terms "level", "score" and "rank" as
they apply to Group buffers is in order?

My original thought was that "level" in this context refers to the
accessibility of the server for that group because it is used to decide
whether or not the initial Group buffer queries the server for number of
unread messages on that group.

I think of "score" as being a measure of my current interest in the
contents of the item being scored.  It seems (to me) to be orthogonal to
the concept of "level" in the group buffer.  It also seems (to me) to be
very similar to the concept of scoring in the summary buffer - it just
uses different attributes of the items being scored to decide on the
score.  Having the "score" of the group rise as a function of the number
of entries into that group strikes me as very close conceptually to
adaptive scoring in the summary buffers.

And threads in summary buffers seem very close to "topics" in group
buffers...has anyone written that hierarchical object browser mode for
emacs yet?  Just subclass off of that for a group buffer or for a summary
buffer and away you go...:-))

> I have written no commands for manually changing the score of groups.
> I don't really plan to... unless there's a Violent Uprising Craving
> Group Score Commands of '96!

Take cover!!!! :-)

Scott Blachowicz    Ph: 206/283-8802x240    StatSci, a div of MathSoft, Inc.
                                            1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                           Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org

* Re: Those groups levels again
@ 1995-11-13 22:48   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-13 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@ccs.neu.edu> writes:

> Do newsgroups really need to be scored? Resorting newsgroups isn't
> something done too often, and it's generally easier to kill-yank groups
> to put them where they belong than to score-score-score-score-resort...
> DAMN! score-score-resort.... It's one thing to have subjects
> automatically scored but implementing all the things that make scoring
> useful in the summary buffer for the newsgroup buffer just seems like
> useless overkill when you've already implemented levels.

Too late!  I've already written the code for this!  Bwahahaha!  :-)

But really, I think it can be useful.  There's so much functionality
tied to the levels that doing more with them than we currently do
isn't advisable.  What I wanted was to implement "group bubbling",
which means that every time you enter a group, it goes "up".  (Several
people have requested this.)  While going "up", the general feeling
was that there should be several categories, so that one can guarantee
that the groups stay (generally) where they belong, but they should
"rise" in that subcategory.

@ 1995-11-13 21:24 Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1995-11-13 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

--

@ 1995-11-13 20:58   ` Felix Lee
From: Felix Lee @ 1995-11-13 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Do newsgroups really need to be scored? Resorting newsgroups isn't

yes.  before I got stuck here on the end of a ppp link, I was
subscribed to several hundred newsgroups.  a couple dozen of them were
must-read.  the rest varied, depending on whatever.  (eg, I tended to
spend a few weeks with a tasty group found by jump-to-random-group.)

once in a while, I'd try to rearrange the list so that
currently-interesting groups were near the top, but this was always
cumbersome and harder to do than I liked, even when I had keys bound
to pushing groups up and down in the list.

what I think I really want is a spatialized newsgroup list, so I can
have a cluster of spandex-and-rhino-related newsgroups in one corner,
the anti-C++ brigade over there, the when-I-need-a-non-sequitur smear
in the back.

anyway.  yah, '(level . score) sounds okay.  (except for the level
part :) I'd be happy if levels disappared, in favor of something else.
like, umm, dunno.  something more like topics.  mmm.  I think I'd like
to have multiple group buffers.

* Re: Those groups levels again
@ 1995-11-13 20:21 ` Janne Sinkkonen
From: Janne Sinkkonen @ 1995-11-13 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Lars> 1) The level can be in integer, like now, between 1 and 9
    Lars> (by default)

    Lars> 2) The level can be a cons, where the car has the level and
    Lars> the cdr has a, uhm, score.  Perhaps.

Levels are useful, but there's still too much those groups. I would
like to see a hierarchical group buffer. If that's too far out, topics
would be a good substitute. By topic I mean, I could say "I want the
comp groups", and then I get comp groups plus some general stuff like
mail groups, and other things like photography groups vanish
temporarily out of sight. I don't know what you mean by topics, though.

Scoring would maybe also help.

--
Janne

* Re: Those groups levels again
@ 1995-11-13 20:19 ` Joe Hildebrand
From: Joe Hildebrand @ 1995-11-13 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "Lars" == Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

   Lars> I just can't decide what to do about those pesky group
   Lars> levels.  This is what I'm currently thinking about:

   Lars> 1) The level can be in integer, like now, between 1 and 9 (by
   Lars> default)

   Lars> 2) The level can be a cons, where the car has the level and
   Lars> the cdr has a, uhm, score.  Perhaps.

couldn't you just add another group parameter for score?

--
Joe Hildebrand                  Fuentez Systems Concepts
hildjj@fuentez.com              11781 Lee-Jackson Hwy, Suite 700

* Re: Those groups levels again
@ 1995-11-13 19:50 ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1995-11-13 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@ccs.neu.edu>          \ Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an
PGP Public Key: Ask for one today!  \ unknown glowing substance which fell to

* Those groups levels again
@ 1995-11-13 16:17 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-13 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just can't decide what to do about those pesky group levels.  This
is what I'm currently thinking about:

1) The level can be in integer, like now, between 1 and 9 (by default)

2) The level can be a cons, where the car has the level and the cdr
has a, uhm, score.  Perhaps.

Now, if we had this, we could do some interesting things.  Like
`sort-by-level-and-then-score'.  Then all level 4 groups would come
before all level 5 groups (so that those really important groups comes
before those less important) but we could still have bubbling on the
"score" of the group -- inside each level.  So whenever I read a level
5 group, the score would rise, and the next time I sort, that group
would "rise".  But it would never "rise" above any level 4 groups.

One could also do display-oriented things based on this (perhaps in
conjuction with `gnus-topic'.  Each level gets its own topic, and so
on.

This would all be totally backwards compatible, and it's rather easy
to implement.  And it doesn't bloat the .newsrc.eld file much.  (I
originally thought of floating point levels, but that would really
either massively bloat the .newsrc.eld file, or slow down .newsrc.eld
generation dramatically.  (We couldn't use just `prin1' as now.))

Whadda y'all think?

In other news, I've been fixing lots & lots & lost of September bugs,
so I think that might be heading towards being usable.  nnsoup also
seems to have started behaving after I slapped it about a bit.  So I
think I'll be documenting it now.

Expect a release tomorrow.

--
Home is where the cat is.