From: JJ <ding_gnus.org@sumou.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Debugging Emacs Gnus to determine the starttls command working with No Gnus
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 10:33:32 -0400	[thread overview]

> But are you using starttls or tls?
>
> For starttls, this is controlled by starttls-gnutls-program and
> friends.  For tls, it's tls-program.  And in Emacs 24, we'll soon have
> built-in tls support, so there will be no external program at all.  :-)

The thing is I don't know what it's using, that's what I'm trying to
find out.

I've got the following:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnimap "mail.hcoop.net"
				   (nnimap-address "mail.hcoop.net")
			           (nnir-search-engine imap))))

So I assume it's using tls;
tls-program is ("gnutls-cli -p %p %h" "gnutls-cli -p %p %h --protocols
ssl3" "openssl s_client -connect %h:%p -no_ssl2 -ign_eof") which means I
have it set to default, i.e. hasn't been modified by anything.

And that's what I need to decipher, which of these with which port the
GNU Emacs Gnus uses to connect, as it connects.

I've experimented from the CLI with various variants of ports etc., for
instance I can connect without specifying any port, but not with 993 etc.

I don't even know whether the Emacs Gnus uses the first option, or fails
on it and some further one is working, as I can't get (meaning probably
don't know how to get) a debugging trace showing me the command with
which the Gnus is successfull in connecting, so I could force the Git
Gnus checkout to use this specific combination, so that it would
connect.

I.e. `gnutls-cli -p imaps mail.hcoop.net', which the git version uses as
a default fails, so Emacs gnus must be using something else.
However, for instance I can connect with `gnutls-cli -p 443 mail.hcoop.net'
from the commandline, however if I `(setq imap-port 443)' Gnus will not
connect, even the Emacs Gnus, so clearly it isn't using this command or the
port, having been set this way is passed to it differently.

So how can I determine which command exactly it is using to connect, so
that I may set it explicitly and can use the Git Gnus, until tls is used
internally?
--
JJ