* What does gnus-browse-unsubscribe-current-group really do?
@ 2005-04-29 22:53 David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2005-04-29 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

The documentation is obviously not telling me everything; when I use 'u'
to invoke this command on groups in my IMAP server the groups go through
three states, being labelled with nothing, 'U', or 'K'.  Could someone
please explain this to me (and fix the documentation!)?

Thanks,
Dave

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

* Re: What does gnus-browse-unsubscribe-current-group really do?
@ 2005-05-04 14:32 ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2005-05-04 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

Anyone?

--

@ 2005-05-07 23:32   ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2005-05-07 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:

> Anyone?
>
> David Abrahams wrote:
>> The documentation is obviously not telling me everything; when I use 'u'
>> to invoke this command on groups in my IMAP server the groups go through
>> three states, being labelled with nothing, 'U', or 'K'.  Could someone
>> please explain this to me (and fix the documentation!)?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dave

This is my third and final try.  Just pointing me to a webpage that
explains this would be a big help!

--

@ 2005-05-11 15:36     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2005-05-11 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Sat, 07 May 2005, dave@boost-consulting.com wrote:

> David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:
>
>> Anyone?
>>
>> David Abrahams wrote:
>>> The documentation is obviously not telling me everything; when I use 'u'
>>> to invoke this command on groups in my IMAP server the groups go through
>>> three states, being labelled with nothing, 'U', or 'K'.  Could someone
>>> please explain this to me (and fix the documentation!)?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dave
>>>

> This is my third and final try.  Just pointing me to a webpage that
> explains this would be a big help!

Dave,

I don't see this behavior.  I only get subscribed (no mark) or
unsubscribed ('U' mark) when I use `u' on a group.  Perhaps that's why
no one has responded.

Make sure you explain the exact version of Gnus and Emacs, and steps
you take to arrive at this behavior.

Ted

* Re: What does gnus-browse-unsubscribe-current-group really do?
@ 2005-05-11 15:54       ` David Abrahams
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: David Abrahams @ 2005-05-11 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ted Zlatanov" <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Sat, 07 May 2005, dave@boost-consulting.com wrote:
>
>> David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:
>>
>>> Anyone?

>> This is my third and final try.  Just pointing me to a webpage that
>> explains this would be a big help!
>
> Dave,
>
> I don't see this behavior.  I only get subscribed (no mark) or
> unsubscribed ('U' mark) when I use `u' on a group.  Perhaps that's why
> no one has responded.
>
> Make sure you explain the exact version of Gnus and Emacs, and steps
> you take to arrive at this behavior.

FWIW, this is in an nnimap group.  It's happened with versions of Gnus
from the CVS HEAD ever since I started using Gnus a couple years ago,
and likewise with builds of Emacs from the CVS HEAD for the past
couple years.

I use `^' from my *Group* buffer and then I put the point on my nnimap
server and hit return.  Then I use 'u' in the... wait.  Now it's not
happening anymore.  I do have two groups marked with 'K' in the
left-hand column (what does that mean?), but the rest are either
marked with 'U' or blank.

This is *really* confusing.

--

@ 2005-05-12  5:15         ` Seth Falcon
From: Seth Falcon @ 2005-05-12  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:

> I use `^' from my *Group* buffer and then I put the point on my nnimap
> server and hit return.  Then I use 'u' in the... wait.  Now it's not
> happening anymore.  I do have two groups marked with 'K' in the
> left-hand column (what does that mean?), but the rest are either
> marked with 'U' or blank.
>
> This is *really* confusing.

I see it too, but I don't have an explanation.  I take the 'K' as part
of a kill list, but I very well might be making that up.

+ seth

* Re: What does gnus-browse-unsubscribe-current-group really do?
@ 2005-05-12  6:09         ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2005-05-12  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:

> I use `^' from my *Group* buffer and then I put the point on my nnimap
> server and hit return.  Then I use 'u' in the... wait.  Now it's not
> happening anymore.  I do have two groups marked with 'K' in the
> left-hand column (what does that mean?), but the rest are either
> marked with 'U' or blank.
>
> This is *really* confusing.

K means killed. That means at some point you hit C-k over the group.

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough

* Re: What does gnus-browse-unsubscribe-current-group really do?
@ 2005-05-12 15:07         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2005-05-12 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Wed, 11 May 2005, dave@boost-consulting.com wrote:

> FWIW, this is in an nnimap group.

Right, I tested with nnimap too.

> It's happened with versions of Gnus from the CVS HEAD ever since I
> started using Gnus a couple years ago, and likewise with builds of
> Emacs from the CVS HEAD for the past couple years.
>
> I use `^' from my *Group* buffer and then I put the point on my
> nnimap server and hit return.  Then I use 'u' in the... wait.  Now
> it's not happening anymore.  I do have two groups marked with 'K' in
> the left-hand column (what does that mean?), but the rest are either
> marked with 'U' or blank.
>
> This is *really* confusing.

A cursory reading of the function in gnus-srvr.el indicates that a K
is normally not possible (only U and ' ' seem possible) but the code
does kill the group (which could generate the K) before inserting the
U or ' ' mark.

K means "unknown to Gnus, only on the server"
U means "Gnus knows about it, some state is saved, but it's
unsubscibed (level 5 I think)"
' ' means "regular group (level 3 I think)"

I don't think you have anything to worry about - this is hardly a
dangerous bug, it seems.

Someone with better knowledge of the gnus-srvr.el code should chime
in at this point.

Ted

* Re: What does gnus-browse-unsubscribe-current-group really do?
@ 2005-05-13 22:13           ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2005-05-13 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ted Zlatanov" <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Wed, 11 May 2005, dave@boost-consulting.com wrote:
>
>> FWIW, this is in an nnimap group.
>
> Right, I tested with nnimap too.
>
>> It's happened with versions of Gnus from the CVS HEAD ever since I
>> started using Gnus a couple years ago, and likewise with builds of
>> Emacs from the CVS HEAD for the past couple years.
>>
>> I use `^' from my *Group* buffer and then I put the point on my
>> nnimap server and hit return.  Then I use 'u' in the... wait.  Now
>> it's not happening anymore.  I do have two groups marked with 'K' in
>> the left-hand column (what does that mean?), but the rest are either
>> marked with 'U' or blank.
>>
>> This is *really* confusing.
>
> A cursory reading of the function in gnus-srvr.el indicates that a K
> is normally not possible (only U and ' ' seem possible) but the code
> does kill the group (which could generate the K) before inserting the
> U or ' ' mark.
>
> K means "unknown to Gnus, only on the server"
> U means "Gnus knows about it, some state is saved, but it's
> unsubscibed (level 5 I think)"
> ' ' means "regular group (level 3 I think)"
>
> I don't think you have anything to worry about - this is hardly a
> dangerous bug, it seems.

I'm not sure it's a bug at all.  I just want to know what I'm getting.
Actually I was hoping that one of the states was "show this group but
don't check it for new messages."

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting