* No such function: nntp-request-accept-article solved
@ 2002-09-14  0:33 clemens fischer
From: clemens fischer @ 2002-09-14  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

me thinks this is a bug:

i had experimented with setting `gnus-gcc-externalize-attachments' to
'all, because the documentation led me to believe this would save
space on outgoing posts with attachments by leaving out local files
from my own local copies.

at first i didn't think this could have had anything to do with my
nnfolder:dump group, but when i commented this line, everything worked
again.  strange thing is that everything else was ok all the time.

btw:  do i say "nnfolder:group" in my expiry-target?  i have now:

    nnmail-expiry-target "nnfolder:EXPIRED" ; mit oder ohne??
    nnmail-expiry-wait-function
      (lambda (newsgroup)
         (cond
      	((string-match newsgroup "nnfolder:INBOX") 33)
      	((string-match newsgroup "nnfolder:abuse") 'never)
              ...))

but i am not sure if this is correct.

--
clemens

ps:  how do i get rid of the "-- +\n" separating my outgoing posts
from my oneline signature?

* Re: No such function: nntp-request-accept-article solved
@ 2002-09-14  1:36 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-09-14  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

clemens fischer <ino@despammed.com> writes:

> me thinks this is a bug:
>
> i had experimented with setting `gnus-gcc-externalize-attachments' to
> 'all, because the documentation led me to believe this would save
> space on outgoing posts with attachments by leaving out local files
> from my own local copies.
>
> at first i didn't think this could have had anything to do with my
> nnfolder:dump group, but when i commented this line, everything worked
> again.  strange thing is that everything else was ok all the time.
>
> btw:  do i say "nnfolder:group" in my expiry-target?  i have now:
>
>     nnmail-expiry-target "nnfolder:EXPIRED" ; mit oder ohne??
>     nnmail-expiry-wait-function
>       (lambda (newsgroup)
>          (cond
>       	((string-match newsgroup "nnfolder:INBOX") 33)
>       	((string-match newsgroup "nnfolder:abuse") 'never)
>               ...))
>
> but i am not sure if this is correct.

I think that the bug is related to nnmail-expiry-target, instead of
gnus-gcc-externalize-attachments.  Are you sure you didn't
accidentally set your nnmail-expiry-target to nil or something else in
the previous setting?

ShengHuo

* Re: No such function: nntp-request-accept-article solved
@ 2002-09-14 18:09   ` Clemens Fischer
From: Clemens Fischer @ 2002-09-14 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

>>     nnmail-expiry-target "nnfolder:EXPIRED" ; mit oder ohne??
>>     nnmail-expiry-wait-function
>>       (lambda (newsgroup)
>>          (cond
>>       	((string-match newsgroup "nnfolder:INBOX") 33)
>>       	((string-match newsgroup "nnfolder:abuse") 'never)
>>               ...))
>>

> I think that the bug is related to nnmail-expiry-target, instead of
> gnus-gcc-externalize-attachments.  Are you sure you didn't
> accidentally set your nnmail-expiry-target to nil or something else in
> the previous setting?

yes.  i checked the settings in the group configuration ("G c") and
remembered having changed the expiry target there, but that has been a
while and should have effected other groups with similar settings
there as well, no?

could you tell me how to achieve this behaviour?  if sending
attachments from my local disk, they are _not_ to be saved in my local
copy of the outgoing message/article.

--
clemens

* Re: No such function: nntp-request-accept-article solved
@ 2002-09-14 21:33     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-09-14 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clemens Fischer <ino@despammed.com> writes:

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>
>>>     nnmail-expiry-target "nnfolder:EXPIRED" ; mit oder ohne??
>>>     nnmail-expiry-wait-function
>>>       (lambda (newsgroup)
>>>          (cond
>>>       	((string-match newsgroup "nnfolder:INBOX") 33)
>>>       	((string-match newsgroup "nnfolder:abuse") 'never)
>>>               ...))
>>>

>> I think that the bug is related to nnmail-expiry-target, instead of
>> gnus-gcc-externalize-attachments.  Are you sure you didn't
>> accidentally set your nnmail-expiry-target to nil or something else in
>> the previous setting?
>
> yes.  i checked the settings in the group configuration ("G c") and
> remembered having changed the expiry target there, but that has been a
> while and should have effected other groups with similar settings
> there as well, no?

No.

> could you tell me how to achieve this behaviour?  if sending
> attachments from my local disk, they are _not_ to be saved in my local
> copy of the outgoing message/article.

gnus-gcc-externalize-attachments is it. If the previous behavior
happens again, you'd better M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET, then post
the backtrace.

ShengHuo

* Re: No such function: nntp-request-accept-article solved
@ 2002-09-16 15:15       ` Clemens Fischer
From: Clemens Fischer @ 2002-09-16 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> gnus-gcc-externalize-attachments is it. If the previous behavior
> happens again, you'd better M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET, then post
> the backtrace.

thought i had done that.  anyway:  the manual states one of the
choices for this variable be `all'.  i wrote 'all (symbol-p), and now
i just tried setting it using M-x set-variable, which did not accept
'all, but plain all instead.  the code says this is a constant like
nil.  where is it defined, what does it mean?

--
clemens

* Re: No such function: nntp-request-accept-article solved
@ 2002-09-27 22:49         ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-09-27 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clemens Fischer <ino@despammed.com> wrote:
> i wrote 'all (symbol-p), and now i just tried setting it using M-x
> set-variable, which did not accept 'all, but plain all instead.

C-h f set-variable says: "VALUE is used literally, not evaluated."
So the quote isn't needed.  If you provide a quote, the variable would
be set to the list (quote all).

> the code says this is a constant like
> nil.  where is it defined, what does it mean?

The symbol all is not globally special like nil.  The defcustom you're
looking at just uses the symbol as a value itself, and not as a
variable storing another value.

paul