* how to view links in an external browser
@ 2010-09-26  8:04 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-09-26  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

The most one can usually do with links in gnus is click them to view
with emacs-w3m. One cannot usually get the menu one can select view in
external browser from, by either right or left clicking. Same with ffap
links. emacs-snapshot:  Installed: 1:20100916-1

* Re: how to view links in an external browser
@ 2010-09-26  8:45 ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2010-09-26  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> The most one can usually do with links in gnus is click them to view
> with emacs-w3m. One cannot usually get the menu one can select view in
> external browser from, by either right or left clicking. Same with ffap
> links. emacs-snapshot:  Installed: 1:20100916-1

This setting works for me though there is a small bug in that it opens
2 tabs instead of 1 if the browser is already running.  I put the
following in the .gnus file.

(setq browse-url-firefox-program "C:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/firefox.exe")

(setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-firefox
          browse-url-new-window-flag nil
          browse-url-firefox-new-window-is-tab t)

With the above, if I click on a link or hit enter on the url, it opens
 the link in Firefox.

 sivaram

* Re: how to view links in an external browser
@ 2010-09-26  9:12   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-09-26  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sivaram Neelakantan; +Cc: ding

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

>> The most one can usually do with links in gnus is click them to view
>> with emacs-w3m. One cannot usually get the menu one can select view in
>> external browser from, by either right or left clicking. Same with ffap
>> links. emacs-snapshot:  Installed: 1:20100916-1
>>

> This setting works for me though there is a small bug in that it opens
> 2 tabs instead of 1 if the browser is already running.  I put the
> following in the .gnus file.
>
> (setq browse-url-firefox-program "C:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/firefox.exe")
>
> (setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-firefox
>           browse-url-new-window-flag nil
>           browse-url-firefox-new-window-is-tab t)
>
> With the above, if I click on a link or hit enter on the url, it opens
>  the link in Firefox.
>
>  sivaram
>  --

Alternatively

 '(browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-generic))
 '(browse-url-generic-program "iceweasel")

I prefer going to the "generic" route.

* Re: how to view links in an external browser
@ 2010-09-26  9:35 ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2010-09-26  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> The most one can usually do with links in gnus is click them to view
> with emacs-w3m. One cannot usually get the menu one can select view in
> external browser from, by either right or left clicking. Same with ffap
> links. emacs-snapshot:  Installed: 1:20100916-1

Others pointed out how to get this working for plain-text email.  Inside w3m
rendered HTML things were not so simple, and I use this ugly fellow:

  (defadvice w3m-safe-view-this-url
    (around gnus-open-in-real-browser activate)
    "Cause w3m to open a URL in an external browser, but only within the
  scope of a Gnus mail buffer.  In theory.  It presently doesn't implement
  that limit at all."
    (browse-url (w3m-anchor)))

I don't know how the in-Gnus HTML rendering behaves, though.

        Daniel
--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ daniel@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707

* Re: how to view links in an external browser
@ 2010-10-26  3:04     ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-10-26  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rileyrg; +Cc: nsivaram.net, ding

OK, thanks everybody. I now have working fine in .gnus.el:
(define-key gnus-article-mode-map [?M] 'browse-url-firefox); same key as w3m-view-url-with-external-browser
(However the right mouse stuff should still be implemented one day.)

* Re: how to view links in an external browser
@ 2010-10-26 12:15       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-10-26 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: rileyrg, nsivaram.net, ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> OK, thanks everybody. I now have working fine in .gnus.el:
> (define-key gnus-article-mode-map [?M] 'browse-url-firefox); same key as
> w3m-view-url-with-external-browser
> (However the right mouse stuff should still be implemented one day.)

I find it makes more sense to use the generic function and then to change your
default browser it is simply a question of customising the generic browser
variable. See previous post.