* `From: ' header oddities
@ 1999-07-04 14:18 Toni Drabik
From: Toni Drabik @ 1999-07-04 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I noticed that `From: ' header in some cases gets displayed
incorrectly.  To be specific, when it contains escaped double quotes,
Gnus ignores everything after first double quote.  For example, the
following header:

   From: "Igor \"Doc\" Berecki" <iberecki@bigfoot.com>

"expands" in *Summary* buffer to:

   [  14: Igor \              ]

Is there a way to correct this?  Or is it just a bug that get
unnoticed until now?

--
Warning: This article may be fatal if swallowed.
Toni Drabik <tdrabik@public.srce.hr> * <URL:http://public.srce.hr/~tdrabik/>

* Re: `From: ' header oddities
@ 1999-07-04 19:50 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-07-04 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Toni Drabik <tdrabik@public.srce.hr> writes:

> I noticed that `From: ' header in some cases gets displayed
> incorrectly.  To be specific, when it contains escaped double quotes,
> Gnus ignores everything after first double quote.  For example, the
> following header:
>
>    From: "Igor \"Doc\" Berecki" <iberecki@bigfoot.com>
>
> "expands" in *Summary* buffer to:
>
>    [  14: Igor \              ]
>
> Is there a way to correct this?

I've always thought that setting the `gnus-extract-address-components'
variable to `mail-extract-address-components' should do the job, at
the cost of making Summary generation much slower.  But I've now tried
it, and I don't get any improvement.

* Re: `From: ' header oddities
@ 1999-07-05  3:55   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-07-05  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> I've always thought that setting the `gnus-extract-address-components'
> variable to `mail-extract-address-components' should do the job, at
> the cost of making Summary generation much slower.  But I've now tried
> it, and I don't get any improvement.

Well -- I think the latter function guesses right more of the time,
but even it doesn't get all the cases right.
`mail-header-parse-address' should get the correct answer 100% of the
time.  Well, if the line is valid; if not, not.