* Duplicate article numbers in nnfolder file
@ 1997-03-08 22:42 Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 1997-03-08 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On wanting to review an email I had sent a few days ago, I went into
the archive:misc-mail 'group' to gnus Gccs mail, but I could not see
the mail.  As I knew I had sent the mail, I greped the file in my home
directory and found the email there, I noticed that there were three
articles stored with the same article number (as shown in the Xref and
X-Gnus-Article-Number headers). I then looked at the misc-news file
and found that this suffers the same problem - but worse.  The 1st
article to use the number which was duplicated was 5.4.16, the
articles were added with the same number by versions .17 and .23.

Is there any way that I can repair the file to correct the article
numbers, or should I manually edit the article numbers to make them
unique and edit the active file in the archive directory?

* Re: Duplicate article numbers in nnfolder file
@ 1997-03-09  0:25 ` David Kågedal
From: David Kågedal @ 1997-03-09  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Graham Murray <graham@barnowl.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On wanting to review an email I had sent a few days ago, I went into
> the archive:misc-mail 'group' to gnus Gccs mail, but I could not see
> the mail.  As I knew I had sent the mail, I greped the file in my home
> directory and found the email there, I noticed that there were three
> articles stored with the same article number (as shown in the Xref and
> X-Gnus-Article-Number headers). I then looked at the misc-news file
> and found that this suffers the same problem - but worse.  The 1st
> article to use the number which was duplicated was 5.4.16, the
> articles were added with the same number by versions .17 and .23.
>
> Is there any way that I can repair the file to correct the article
> numbers, or should I manually edit the article numbers to make them
> unique and edit the active file in the archive directory?

Simply remove the Gnus-Article-Number header lines (along with the
Xref line). Then Gnus will rediscover the articles and give them new
numbers.