From: Henrik Holm <henrikh@ii.uib.no>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: address lists?
Date: 26 Oct 1999 08:35:16 +0200	[thread overview]

On 25 Oct 1999 09:24:16 -0700, Jody M. Klymak wrote:

> [...]

Hi Jody,

>     HH> [...]  This provides
>     HH> the same functionality as having `mylist' specified in .mailrc
>     HH> as described above, but I do not need to maintain two lists.
>
> I use BBDB for most things, but not for lists.

I am sorry, I did not make myself sufficiently clear... and I used
the term `list' for two things, which is bad.  I consider BBDB
to be my `address list' -- and before I got to know BBDB, `.mailrc' was
my address list.  So that is why I was talking about `two lists'.

> Is there an efficient way of making your list, or do you have to
> search on each of john, paul, judy's names and enter the list entry
> manually?  The nice thing about the .mailrc is you simply type the
> lists in right there.

You're perfectly right, I do have to search on each of john, paul, judy's
names (and maybe even entering them into the BBDB if they're not there,
of course), and then C-o the field mail-alias containing the list name.
This might be a bit more work than typing the list in the .mailrc.

> It also makes them fairly easy to manage.  I'm not sure what you mean
> by "two lists" since I only use the .mailrc for lists.

Here is where I confused you with my speaking of `two lists'.  When john
is in the .mailrc file in addition to the BBDB, I have to maintain his
entry both places.  That is, if john changes his email address, I have
to change both .mailrc and BBDB.

>     HH> This might be an important issue: my .mailrc is empty, since
>     HH> I've moved all my addresses into the BBDB batabase.  I don't
>     HH> know wether that is important, but it might be!
>
> Not for my set-up.  I have both BBDB and .mailrc w/o any problems.

That is good.  There might be a problem if lists (and aliases) are
implemented in both the BBDB and .mailrc, but since you don't utilise
the mail-alias field in BBDB it is certainly not a problem.

I hope I managed to explain better this time... it is certainly not my
intention to criticise the .mailrc way of maintaining lists!

Regards, Henrik

--
Henrik Holm, Research fellow    ---    Dept. of Telecommunications, NTNU
mailto:Henrik.Holm@tele.ntnu.no  -  http://www.tele.ntnu.no/users/henrik