From: Ami Fischman <usenet@fischman.org>
Subject: Re: google as a news server, redux
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 12:30:14 -0800	[thread overview]

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

[...]

> It works fine for me. I am not sure whether it is a url package
> related problem or not. If you have wget, lynx or curl installed,
> maybe you can try (setq mm-url-use-external t).

I'm having the same trouble as the OP (exact same error message).  Trapping
the call to wget (I already have mm-url-use-external set to t), I see that
the command line it is passed is:
wget -q -O - 'http://groups.google.com/groups?q=group%3Agnu.emacs.gnus&num=100&hq=&hl=&lr=&safe=off&sites=groups'
(quoting may be off b/c of the way I catch the args)
and google replies with:

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Forbidden</TITLE></HEAD>
<BODY><H1>Forbidden</H1>
Your client from the IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx does not have permission to get
URL
/groups?q=group%3Agnu.emacs.gnus&amp;num=100&amp;hq=&amp;hl=&amp;lr=&amp;safe=off&amp;sites=groups
from this server.<BR><BR>Please see Google's Terms of Service posted at
http://www.google.com/terms_of_service.html
<BR><BR>If you believe that you have received this response in error, please
send email to <A
href="mailto:forbidden@google.com">forbidden@google.com</A>.  In your email,
please let us know the IP address from which you are querying (it is shown
above).  This will help us track down the problem.</BODY></HTML>

(linebreaking may be slightly off, this is an X copy/paste).

Google's TOS prohibits "offline searches", though they don't define what
that means.  But SZ's ability to use google probably means that google isn't
blocking this on purpose (?).  Any ideas what's causing this?  Could it be
that google blocks certain IP blocks for some reason?  (I can search google
via a webbrowser just fine from this IP).
--
  Ami Fischman
  usenet@fischman.org