From: Ami Fischman <usenet@fischman.org>
Subject: Re: nnslashdot usage
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:43:32 -0800	[thread overview]

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

[...]

> followups.  The all-in-one solution is difficult to implement, because
> of the difficulties in maintaining the map of article numbers.

Actually, a "cheat" just occured to me.  Have all the nnslashdot groups go
into a collapsed topic, as Kai suggested, and have an nnvirtual group
collect all the articles from the nnslashdot groups.  Tried this, but have
run into a few snags:

1)  Threading happens correctly, which is unfortunate :).  Specifically,
    followups are threaded correctly, but they are not marked as having the
    "headline" article as a parent, so all of the followups are mixed up
    together.  I'm thinking that it should be possible to cook up a prefix
    for the nnvirtual group's summary buffer, so that every followup article
    will get it's (original nnslashdot) group name prepended in some way
    (probably just an ID number), so that followups thread under their OP.

2)  For some reason, I can not read followups in the virtual group.  When I
    attempt to display an "original" post (i.e. one of the headlines on the
    front page of slashdot), it shows fine.  But if I move to a "followup"
    post, I get:
nnslashdot-lose: Slashdot HTML has changed; please get a new version of nnslashdot

    A debug-on-error shows that the failure happens at:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Slashdot HTML has changed; please get a new version of nnslashdot")
  signal(error ("Slashdot HTML has changed; please get a new version of nnslashdot"))
  error("Slashdot HTML has changed; please get a new version of nnslashdot")
  nnslashdot-lose((search-failed "<a name=\"2679018\">"))
  nnslashdot-request-article(4 "Wiring A New House? (01/12/09/1847251)" "" #<buffer *Article*>)
  gnus-request-article(4 "nnslashdot:Wiring A New House? (01/12/09/1847251)" #<buffer *Article*>)
  gnus-request-article-this-buffer(4 "nnslashdot:Wiring A New House? (01/12/09/1847251)")
  nnvirtual-request-article(4 "slashdot-all" "nnslashdot:" #<buffer *Article*>)
  gnus-request-article(4 "nnvirtual:slashdot-all" #<buffer *Article*>)
  gnus-request-article-this-buffer(4 "nnvirtual:slashdot-all")
  gnus-article-prepare(4 nil)
  gnus-summary-display-article(4 nil)
  gnus-summary-select-article(nil nil pseudo)
  gnus-summary-scroll-up(1)

    However, I have not been able to find the "raw" text to analyze the
    problem.

So, what I'm looking for is some handholding on the above (with the hope
that the final procedure will work in the "all-in-one solution" referenced
above, and maybe make it into the manual).

Thanks,
--
  Ami Fischman
  usenet@fischman.org