From: Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Syncing Gnus
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 19:25:43 +0530	[thread overview]

On Sun, Jan 08 2012,Richard Riley wrote:

> This comes up everys now and again and I thought maybe time again.
>
> Who has recently set up gnus so its data is easily synced. There are a
> plethora of location values some I think might overlap - I'm not sure -
> I just know I keep finding News and Mail dirs in in my home dir every
> now and again ;). Ideally there would be ONE variable to set and all
> archives, news and mail and book marks and everything would go under
> there so only that dir would by synced. It would include .newsrc* files
> too.

[snipped 14 lines]

> Maybe I'm overthinking or panicking a little. All I want is ALL gnus
> "runtime"* type data to sit under ONE directory. How is this best achieved?

[snipped 9 lines]

oh cthulhu! yes, yes, yes.  If it can be done in a manner that is
apparent with the least amount of configuration entries, that would be
fantastic!

I've sort of given up tracking where Gnus creates all the files and
simply copy random files and folders over(not really) to any other
machine when I migrate.

But I wish if something like LaTeX TEXMF was designed (or something
simpler if you want) to cater to all the twisted ways of Gnus.  And I
mean that in the nicest sense possible.

 sivaram