* w3
@ 1999-12-03 14:32 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-12-03 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Setting up a beta version of xemacs to use gnus [and w3].

xemacs version: 21.2.19
w3 version: w3-4.0pre.44

Attempts to load w3 result in this error message:
Invalid byte code: "variable reference to constant symbol :group"

Anyone know what the fix would be?

* Re: w3
@ 1999-12-03 15:20 ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1999-12-03 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Setting up a beta version of xemacs to use gnus [and w3].
>
> xemacs version: 21.2.19
> w3 version: w3-4.0pre.44
>
> Attempts to load w3 result in this error message:
> Invalid byte code: "variable reference to constant symbol :group"
>
> Anyone know what the fix would be?

Try removing the 'let (...)' in w3-keyword.el... although this code works
fine for me here XEmacs 21.2  (beta22) "Mercedes"

I didn't compile with all the debugging whizbangs though.  That might be an
issue.

-Bill P.

* Re: w3
@ 1999-12-03 17:04   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-12-03 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

wmperry@aventail.com (William M. Perry) writes:

> > Setting up a beta version of xemacs to use gnus [and w3].
> >
> > xemacs version: 21.2.19
> > w3 version: w3-4.0pre.44
> >
> > Attempts to load w3 result in this error message:
> > Invalid byte code: "variable reference to constant symbol :group"
> >
> > Anyone know what the fix would be?
>
> Try removing the 'let (...)' in w3-keyword.el... although this code works
> fine for me here XEmacs 21.2  (beta22) "Mercedes"
>
> I didn't compile with all the debugging whizbangs though.  That might be an
> issue.

OOOps  .. think I found the problem... I was aiming xemacs at w3 *.elc
files compiled with fsf emacs.

A little off the beaten path for ding ...:

The main reason I am experimenting with xemacs was to see if its
html-mode, and particularly C-c C-v `browse-url-of-buffer' and the
toggle C-c C-s that allows you to view edits immediately, would be
nicer using the built-in  w3 as against fsf emacs with netscape.

My xemacs loads html-mode alright but balks at `browse-url-of-buffer'
with:
Symbols function definition is void: `browse-url-of-buffer'

Does it work for you?

* Re: w3
@ 1999-12-03 17:26     ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1999-12-03 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> wmperry@aventail.com (William M. Perry) writes:
>
> > Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
> >
> > > Setting up a beta version of xemacs to use gnus [and w3].
> > >
> > > xemacs version: 21.2.19
> > > w3 version: w3-4.0pre.44
> > >
> > > Attempts to load w3 result in this error message:
> > > Invalid byte code: "variable reference to constant symbol :group"
> > >
> > > Anyone know what the fix would be?
> >
> > Try removing the 'let (...)' in w3-keyword.el... although this code works
> > fine for me here XEmacs 21.2  (beta22) "Mercedes"
> >
> > I didn't compile with all the debugging whizbangs though.  That might be an
> > issue.
>

> OOOps  .. think I found the problem... I was aiming xemacs at w3 *.elc
> files compiled with fsf emacs.

Ohhhh, that'll do it.

> A little off the beaten path for ding ...:

> The main reason I am experimenting with xemacs was to see if its
> html-mode, and particularly C-c C-v `browse-url-of-buffer' and the
> toggle C-c C-s that allows you to view edits immediately, would be
> nicer using the built-in  w3 as against fsf emacs with netscape.
>

> My xemacs loads html-mode alright but balks at `browse-url-of-buffer'
> with:
> Symbols function definition is void: `browse-url-of-buffer'
>
> Does it work for you?

Never heard of that function... sorry. :)

-bpc

* Re: w3
@ 1999-12-05  0:15     ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 1999-12-05  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

 HP> The main reason I am experimenting with xemacs was to see if its
 HP> html-mode, and particularly C-c C-v `browse-url-of-buffer' and the
 HP> toggle C-c C-s that allows you to view edits immediately, would be
 HP> nicer using the built-in  w3 as against fsf emacs with netscape.

You can use W3 with Emacs too, of course.  Checking rendering in text
mode is a Good Thing, if that's the issue.