From: George McNinch <gmcninch@gmail.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: gmail and gnus-summary-move-article
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 15:36:37 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi,

So this is something that has bugged me for a good while...

Perhaps there is a good solution, or perhaps not.

I have some gnus groups attached to a gmail account, and some nnml
groups -- via some configuration like so:

,----
| (setq gnus-select-method             '(nnnil "")
|       gnus-secondary-select-methods  '((nnml "local-mail"
| 					       (nnml-directory "/home/george/Mail/"))
|   				         (nnimap "gmail"
| 					         (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
| 					         (nnimap-inbox "INBOX"))))
`----

Say I'm in the gmail group INBOX, put point on an article, enter the key
sequence

B m

(to perform gnus-summary-move-article )

and specify an nnml group as the target, everything works fine
*except* that the article is not really deleted on the gmail account
(all "gmail tags" are removed, but the article is still present on the
server -- it can be found in "All Mail").

In fact, the usual way I "delete" articles in the gmail account is via
expiration: I mark them with E in the summary buffer, and I have a
gnus-parameters setting for those accounts which sets

      (expiry-target . "nnimap+personal:[Gmail]/Trash")

So when I expire articles, they get moved to the "gmail trash", and then
gmail regularly prunes its Trash folder without further intervention.

And in fact, to move articles to one of the nnml groups from one of my
gmail groups, I don't use "B m" as above, but rather I use "B c"
("gnus-summary-copy-article") and once done I subsequently mark the
articles for expiry.

This is more-or-less OK, except that if I process-mark (say) a handful
of articles, then use "B c" to copy them, afterwards the process-marks
have vanished, and I have to mark the articles by memory for expiry.

Mostly I manage this without too many errors, but surely (!?) there is
some automagical way to apply

  gnus-summary-copy-article

followed by

  gnus-summary-mark-as-expirable

to all process-marked articles in a summary buffer?

Well, this is perhaps a little bit awkward, since I suppose
gnus-summary-mark-as-expirable doesn't use process-marks.

Ideas? Simpler ways to do this?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Best,
george

--
   + + +   George McNinch <gmcninch(at)gmail.com>
   + + +   http://gmcninch.math.tufts.edu