* prompt for smtp
@ 2011-07-09 11:05 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-07-09 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nognus

Hi, can someone point me to the info I need to get latest gnus working :
it prompts me for smtp server when I send. I use local exim4 configured
to use a smart host. entering nothing or localhost both cause gnus to
hang there doing nothing.

* Re: prompt for smtp
@ 2011-07-09 11:34 ` lee
From: lee @ 2011-07-09 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi, can someone point me to the info I need to get latest gnus working :
> it prompts me for smtp server when I send. I use local exim4 configured
> to use a smart host. entering nothing or localhost both cause gnus to
> hang there doing nothing.

(setq send-mail-function 'sendmail-send-it)

in ~/.emacs.  I've removed what the customise stuff put into emacs
(which meant the same anyway).  It looks like it's emacs who's asking,
not gnus.

* Re: prompt for smtp
@ 2011-07-09 11:55   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-07-09 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi, can someone point me to the info I need to get latest gnus working :
>> it prompts me for smtp server when I send. I use local exim4 configured
>> to use a smart host. entering nothing or localhost both cause gnus to
>> hang there doing nothing.
>
> (setq send-mail-function 'sendmail-send-it)
>
> in ~/.emacs.  I've removed what the customise stuff put into emacs
> (which meant the same anyway).  It looks like it's emacs who's asking,
> not gnus.

Yes, I upgraded bzr emacs.

It should have some form of tab completion if possible to at least hint
what its looking for.

thanks!

* Re: prompt for smtp
@ 2011-07-09 12:01     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-07-09 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>
>> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi, can someone point me to the info I need to get latest gnus working :
>>> it prompts me for smtp server when I send. I use local exim4 configured
>>> to use a smart host. entering nothing or localhost both cause gnus to
>>> hang there doing nothing.
>>
>> (setq send-mail-function 'sendmail-send-it)
>>
>> in ~/.emacs.  I've removed what the customise stuff put into emacs
>> (which meant the same anyway).  It looks like it's emacs who's asking,
>> not gnus.
>
> Yes, I upgraded bzr emacs.
>
> It should have some form of tab completion if possible to at least hint
> what its looking for.
>
> thanks!

OK, I tried this, and it's still prompting. If I revert to n-017 its
fine.

* Re: prompt for smtp
@ 2011-07-09 12:36       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-07-09 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:

>>> (setq send-mail-function 'sendmail-send-it)
>>>
>>> in ~/.emacs.  I've removed what the customise stuff put into emacs
>>> (which meant the same anyway).  It looks like it's emacs who's asking,
>>> not gnus.
>>
>> Yes, I upgraded bzr emacs.
>>
>> It should have some form of tab completion if possible to at least hint
>> what its looking for.
>>
>> thanks!
>
> OK, I tried this, and it's still prompting. If I revert to n-017 its
> fine.

Ok, something hiccupped along the line. I now have it working - using
the gnus with emacs 24 trunk. I deleted the query variable put in my
custom.el as lee mentioned and restarted with the send function variable
, send-mail-function, set to "sendmail-send-it". I think that emacs
shouldnt prompt you for an smtp server if its set to this value since
gnus does not have to talk directly to an smtp server.

regards

r.

* Re: prompt for smtp
@ 2011-07-09 12:38       ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2011-07-09 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, Jul 09 2011,Richard Riley wrote:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:

>>> (setq send-mail-function 'sendmail-send-it)

[snipped 12 lines]

> OK, I tried this, and it's still prompting. If I revert to n-017 its
> fine.

There is a thread going on Emacs-dev over rewriting/configuring smtpmail over
this prompt.  Maybe you should review it and let them know what worked
and what didn't and let Lars know too.

 sivaram

* Re: prompt for smtp
@ 2011-07-09 23:55         ` lee
From: lee @ 2011-07-09 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> I deleted the query variable put in my
> custom.el as lee mentioned and restarted with the send function variable
> , send-mail-function, set to "sendmail-send-it". I think that emacs
> shouldnt prompt you for an smtp server if its set to this value since
> gnus does not have to talk directly to an smtp server.

Does it still prompt you now?

* Re: prompt for smtp
@ 2011-07-10 12:37           ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-07-10 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> I deleted the query variable put in my
>> custom.el as lee mentioned and restarted with the send function variable
>> , send-mail-function, set to "sendmail-send-it". I think that emacs
>> shouldnt prompt you for an smtp server if its set to this value since
>> gnus does not have to talk directly to an smtp server.
>
> Does it still prompt you now?

Not now. But did originally. To clarify, I dont think it should, ever,
if send-mail-function is set to sendmail-send-it since the smtp config
is done outside of emacs. Or maybe it was a hiccup.. dont know. It works
now.