* i18n and barking dogs
@ 1997-12-31  0:33 Kai Grossjohann
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-12-31  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Franklin Lee

Franklin is writing pop3-biff.el and he thinks that the appropriate
thing to do is to let it bark when new mail arrives.  (See the Jargon
File if you don't think that this is appropriate.)

Of course, barking in English is easy: "woof!" will do fine.  But
nowadays, i18n is called for; German users expect it to "wau!" or
"wuff!", for instance.

Can you help with other languages?

Oh yes, and surely we do not want to alienate a significant amount of
our user population, so I think Klingon and Esperanto as well as maybe
Swahili are very important languages!

tia,
kai
--
Kai Grossjohann, Informatik VI        grossjohann@ls6.cs.uni-dortmund.de
Uni Dortmund, D-44221 Dortmund        http://ls6-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/

* Re: i18n and barking dogs
@ 1997-12-31  2:21 ` William M. Perry
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: William M. Perry @ 1997-12-31  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, Franklin Lee

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> Franklin is writing pop3-biff.el and he thinks that the appropriate
> thing to do is to let it bark when new mail arrives.  (See the Jargon
> File if you don't think that this is appropriate.)
>
> Of course, barking in English is easy: "woof!" will do fine.  But
> nowadays, i18n is called for; German users expect it to "wau!" or
> "wuff!", for instance.
>
> Can you help with other languages?
>
> Oh yes, and surely we do not want to alienate a significant amount of
> our user population, so I think Klingon and Esperanto as well as maybe
> Swahili are very important languages!

  Why not just sample a _real dog_ barking? :)  But then I guess we'd need
german shepherds, etc.

-Bill P.

* Re: i18n and barking dogs
@ 1997-12-31  7:10 ` Mr. Whipple
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mr. Whipple @ 1997-12-31  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> Oh yes, and surely we do not want to alienate a significant amount of
> our user population, so I think Klingon and Esperanto as well as maybe
> Swahili are very important languages!

Klingon dogs don't bark, they just leap up and rip your throat out.
Not a useful biff feature, IMHO. :)

--
Edgar Whipple       Have clue, will travel.
ewhipple@rma.edu    "Budgies?! We doan need no stinkin *budgies*!!"

        Microsoft is not where I want to go today.

* Re: i18n and barking dogs
@ 1997-12-31  8:36 ` jari.aalto
From: jari.aalto @ 1997-12-31  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

 97-12-31 Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> list.ding
| Of course, barking in English is easy: "woof!" will do fine.  But
| nowadays, i18n is called for; German users expect it to "wau!" or
| "wuff!", for instance.
|
| Can you help with other languages?

Finnish is quite alike German in this respect: "vuf"
jari

* Re: i18n and barking dogs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-12-31 10:57 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1997-12-31 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Franklin is writing pop3-biff.el and he thinks that the appropriate
> thing to do is to let it bark when new mail arrives.  (See the Jargon
> File if you don't think that this is appropriate.)

> Of course, barking in English is easy: "woof!" will do fine.  But
> nowadays, i18n is called for; German users expect it to "wau!" or
> "wuff!", for instance.

> Can you help with other languages?

In norsk it is:
 "Voff!"
or (more rarely):
 "Vov!"

- Steinar
	"Shit! It's på norsk!"

* Re: i18n and barking dogs
@ 1997-12-31 18:13   ` Daniel Neri
From: Daniel Neri @ 1997-12-31 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> In norsk it is:
>  "Voff!"
> or (more rarely):
>  "Vov!"

That'd be the same thing in swedish.

Also it's "Ouah !" in french (but I'm only 1/2 french ;).

/Daniel
--
Daniel Neri
Operator @ PDC

* Re: i18n and barking dogs
@ 1997-12-31 18:26   ` Ben Gertzfield
From: Ben Gertzfield @ 1997-12-31 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Kai> Of course, barking in English is easy: "woof!" will do fine.
    Kai> But nowadays, i18n is called for; German users expect it to
    Kai> "wau!" or "wuff!", for instance.

    Kai> Can you help with other languages?

In Japan, dogs say 'wan! wan!'

--
Brought to you by the letters N and O and the number 9.
"Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads." -- TMBG

* Re: i18n and barking dogs
@ 1998-01-01  8:36   ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 1998-01-01  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

edgar@beckett.rmaonline.net (Mr. Whipple) writes:
> Klingon dogs don't bark, they just leap up and rip your throat out.
> Not a useful biff feature, IMHO. :)

I dunno, depending on the mail, I suppose it might be appropriate, at
least from the sender's point of view....

* Re: i18n and barking dogs
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-01-03 16:25 ` Francisco Solsona
From: Francisco Solsona @ 1998-01-03 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, Franklin Lee

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> Of course, barking in English is easy: "woof!" will do fine.  But
> nowadays, i18n is called for; German users expect it to "wau!" or
> "wuff!", for instance.
>
> Can you help with other languages?

	In Spanish, you normally hear: "guau" and "woof", but some people
spell that as: "guof".

Francisco