* Problem starting up latest Gnus
@ 2011-02-19  5:31 nyc4bos
From: nyc4bos @ 2011-02-19  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

When trying to startup the latest Gnus, I see this
error in the *Message* buffer:

if: Cannot open load file: gnus-load

and Gnus fails to start.

I have a running (older) version of Gnus going (which is
why I am able to post and send email using Gnus) while
testing out the latest version.

Perhaps this is related to sharing the .newsrc* files
between the two Emacs processes?

* Re: Problem starting up latest Gnus
@ 2011-02-19  8:34 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-19  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

nyc4bos@aol.com writes:

> When trying to startup the latest Gnus, I see this
> error in the *Message* buffer:
>
> if: Cannot open load file: gnus-load

`(setq debug-on-error t)', repeat the bug and post the resulting
backtrace.

* Re: Problem starting up latest Gnus
@ 2011-02-20  5:18   ` nyc4bos
From: nyc4bos @ 2011-02-20  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> nyc4bos@aol.com writes:
>
>> When trying to startup the latest Gnus, I see this
>> error in the *Message* buffer:
>>
>> if: Cannot open load file: gnus-load
>
> `(setq debug-on-error t)', repeat the bug and post the resulting
> backtrace.

Sorry, this was my fault.

I download the latest git Gnus to compare with bzr Gnus for
and unrelated problem and it was in my EMACSPATH unintentionately.

When I moved it away, Gnus started up normally.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "gnus-load")
  load("gnus-load" nil t)
  (if (string-match "^Gnus" gnus-version) nil (load "gnus-load" nil t))
  (unless (string-match "^Gnus" gnus-version) (load "gnus-load" nil t))
  gnus(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus t nil)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)

Here are the variables:

gnus-version-number's value is "0.11"

  This variable is potentially risky when used as a file local variable.

Documentation:
Version number for this version of Gnus.

gnus-load is a Lisp function in `gnus-start.el'.

(gnus-load FILE)

Load FILE, but in such a way that read errors can be reported.