* group parameter and group-local variables
@ 2010-08-21 19:16 Seb
From: Seb @ 2010-08-21 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I wanted to set `bbdb-always-add-addresses' to have a local value of nil
in some groups, which according to the manual (Section 2.10) can be done
by:

(add-to-list 'gnus-newsgroup-variables 'bbdb-always-add-addresses)

and then 'G c' in the group where I want it turned off and adding this
in the Variables section:

Variables:
            Set variables local to the group you are entering. More
INS DEL Variable: bbdb-always-add-addresses
            Value: nil
INS

However, now `bbdb-always-add-addresses' remains nil globally.  What
could be going on?

Cheers,

--
Seb

* Re: group parameter and group-local variables
@ 2010-08-28 21:58 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-08-28 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Seb <spluque@gmail.com> writes:

> However, now `bbdb-always-add-addresses' remains nil globally.  What
> could be going on?

Looking at the code, it's copying over all the summary-local values of
the variables in `gnus-newsgroup-variables' to the global variables.  So
it's kinda more a strange hook to set global values for these things.
So you should probably have a top-level topic parameter or the like that
sets this value to what you prefer to have it globally in addition to
the different value you have in that specific group.

* Re: group parameter and group-local variables
@ 2010-08-31 19:31   ` Seb
From: Seb @ 2010-08-31 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 23:58:39 +0200,
Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> Seb <spluque@gmail.com> writes:
>> However, now `bbdb-always-add-addresses' remains nil globally.  What
>> could be going on?

> Looking at the code, it's copying over all the summary-local values of
> the variables in `gnus-newsgroup-variables' to the global variables.
> So it's kinda more a strange hook to set global values for these
> things.  So you should probably have a top-level topic parameter or
> the like that sets this value to what you prefer to have it globally
> in addition to the different value you have in that specific group.

The problem is that BBDB gets `bbdb-always-add-addresses' from the
*Article* buffer.  Setting this variable in a topic parameter as you
suggest didn't set its value in the *Article* buffer of the child group.

Thanks,

--

@ 2010-09-01  2:13     ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2010-09-01  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> The problem is that BBDB gets `bbdb-always-add-addresses' from the
> *Article* buffer.  Setting this variable in a topic parameter as you
> suggest didn't set its value in the *Article* buffer of the child group.

Sounds like you need to handle this in gnus-article-mode-hook, then.
You should be able to switch on the newsgroup via the
gnus-newsgroup-name variable.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net