* Gnus password Double @ address
@ 2010-08-12  3:53 nyc4bos
From: nyc4bos @ 2010-08-12  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

Although I can send and received email, I see the following password
prompt:

imap: password for nyc4bos@aol.com@imap.aol.com (using authenticator
`login'):

I set the variable imap-default-user:

    (setq imap-default-user "nyc4bos@aol.com")

so that it is used instead of "nyc4bos@imap.aol.com")

I believe that the relevent configuration settings I am using is:

(setq imap-default-user "nyc4bos@aol.com")

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnfolder "")
        (nnimap "aol"
                (nnimap-address "imap.aol.com")
                (nnimap-server-port 993)
                (nnimap-stream ssl)
                (nnimap-list-pattern ("*"))
                (nnimap-expunge-on-close 'never)
                (imap-default-user "nyc4bos")
                (nnir-search-engine imap))))

How can I configure Gnus so that the password prompt is accurate?

Thanks.

* Re: Gnus password Double @ address
@ 2010-08-12 20:04 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-08-12 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 23:53:42 -0400 nyc4bos@aol.com wrote:

n> Although I can send and received email, I see the following password
n> prompt:

n> imap: password for nyc4bos@aol.com@imap.aol.com (using authenticator
n> `login'):

n> I set the variable imap-default-user:

n>     (setq imap-default-user "nyc4bos@aol.com")

n> so that it is used instead of "nyc4bos@imap.aol.com")

n> I believe that the relevent configuration settings I am using is:

n> (setq imap-default-user "nyc4bos@aol.com")

n> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
n>       '((nnfolder "")
n>         (nnimap "aol"
n>                 (nnimap-address "imap.aol.com")
n>                 (nnimap-server-port 993)
n>                 (nnimap-stream ssl)
n>                 (nnimap-list-pattern ("*"))
n>                 (nnimap-expunge-on-close 'never)
n>                 (imap-default-user "nyc4bos")
n>                 (nnir-search-engine imap))))

The global imap-default-user is overriding the nnimap parameter.  Don't
set it.

n> How can I configure Gnus so that the password prompt is accurate?

Hmm, it's accurate actually, auth-source is asking for what the server
would see.  I know what you mean though, you want the account name to
override the actual IMAP user name.  I discussed something similar with
Uday Reddy just recently (see
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/69831).  It's in my TODO
queue.  For now look at the auth-source manual in (info "auth") and set
up your authinfo.gpg file with that user name.  You won't see the prompt
again after you set that up, which may be enough.  If not, when I or
someone else get around to it...

Ted