From: Dave Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: scan for author and take action
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 11:56:54 -0500	[thread overview]

Could you please clarify what you're trying to do?  Do you want to run something after you've entered the group without having to manually step through the process?  If so, then / a followed by M-P-b (gnus-uu-mark-buffer) and then M-& and your command could be put into a macro or otherwise turned into an interactive function.

If, on the other hand, you're trying to do this on group entry, then I don't know the best way to do it, but one thing that will work is to create your own sort function that runs your author-specific function as a side effect of sorting.  I have done something like this for an imap group into which I sieve all messages directed at my group's trouble ticket system.  Sometimes people cc me directly as well as sending to the system address so I end up with a "duplicate" message that doesn't have the proper subject tag so I want to ensure I don't end up replying on that one or I'll generate a new ticket number (at best) or lose the thread (at worst).  So I wrote a sort function that parses the ticket tag and sorts by the ticket number, and also scores down any message not tagged by the system
 .

So in the group parameters for that group I have (from memory as I'm not at work and don't have access right now so may not be syntactically correct):

(gnus-article-sort-functions 'dsg-sort-by-ticket-number)

And in .gnus, I copied gnus-article-sort-by-subject to dsg-sort-by-ticket-number and modified it to my needs.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net