* gnus-agent-regenerate-group: change prompt?
@ 2003-06-30 20:00 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-30 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

gnus-agent-regenerate-group ask me whether to `reread'.  I totally
misunderstood what it means.

I thought it was referring to which articles it looks at to update
the NOV database.  I thought answering t means to update all NOV
lines, answering some means to update some NOV lines, and I wasn't
sure what answering nil means.

I think if it said `Mark as unread' then it would have been
clearer -- I don't want it to mark anything as unread.  To be more
precise, the explanation for `nil' could be to say that it keeps the
status quo.
--
~/.signature

* Re: gnus-agent-regenerate-group: change prompt?
@ 2003-07-01 13:49 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-07-01 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> gnus-agent-regenerate-group ask me whether to `reread'.  I totally
> misunderstood what it means.

Ouch.  That's not good.

> I thought it was referring to which articles it looks at to update
> the NOV database.  I thought answering t means to update all NOV
> lines, answering some means to update some NOV lines, and I wasn't
> sure what answering nil means.
>
> I think if it said `Mark as unread' then it would have been
> clearer -- I don't want it to mark anything as unread.  To be more
> precise, the explanation for `nil' could be to say that it keeps the
> status quo.

Would this be better? It's a closer match to the function's documentation.

Kevin

* Re: gnus-agent-regenerate-group: change prompt?
@ 2003-07-02 20:11   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-07-02 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

> Would this be better? It's a closer match to the function's documentation.

With this, I would not have been confused, I think.  Maybe it can be
made shorter?

I'm still of two minds regarding the two parentheses.  It might be
not quite clear that the first one is the default.  Hm.

Is it really necessary to use nil and t, can't we just use none, all,
and some or something similar?  Or perhaps single letters?

Mark (n)o / (a)ll / all (d)ownloaded articles as unread? (n)

Which articles to mark as unread? (none)
(In this variant, rely on completion to show the possible values.  One
of the values could be the lengthy "some (all downloaded)", or perhaps
just "all downloaded".)

--
~/.signature