* HEADS UP: Largely rewritten gnus-agent implementation.
@ 2002-11-23 16:03 Kai Großjohann
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-23 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kevin Greiner

Kevin Greiner did a really great job, I think, of improving
gnus-agent and making it more efficient, too.  I kind of forgot what
exactly he has changed, but I can say the following:

* The old .fetched files that I introduced are not needed anymore.

* gnus-agent-consider-all-articles is supported properly.

There is a sanity check in there which invokes (debug), so if you see
that, please report it to Kevin and/or me, with some information
about what you were seeing.  After gathering the data (especially the
contents of the backtrace buffer), it should be safe to just
continue, the mess will be cleaned up automatically.

The ChangeLog entries are from me, they are probably bogus to some
degree.  This can be sorted out later, though.

Kevin is gone over the weekend and he suggested that I wait with
committing this, but I'm too excited to wait!

Ah, maybe I should mention some gotcha.  With previous versions of the
code (but not the one I'm checking in!) I saw that articles were marked
as read when entering the group and they appeared to be gone.  If this
happens, don't panik.  Instead, do C-x u from the group buffer
(gnus-undo, to revert the marking as read), then use `J u' on the
group to fetch it, then try to enter the group again.  This worked
reliably to make the articles reappear when I tried it.  (The problem
only happens in plugged mode.)  I don't think that you will see this,
but just in case...

I think that's it!  Please report your findings.

kai