* Update RSS feeds less frequently
@ 2022-12-16  4:08 John Haman
From: John Haman @ 2022-12-16  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I have some RSS feeds that are high traffic, so I appreciate that Gnus
checks on them every refresh. My other feeds are low traffic, and only
update once a month or so, so I don't need to check them very often.

I want to keep track of my high traffic and low traffic feeds in Gnus,
but considering that RSS updating in Gnus can be slow, I'd like to only
update my low traffic feeds manually.

Do you know if there is a way to do this?

Thanks, John

--
Dr. John Haman
Maryland, USA

* Re: Update RSS feeds less frequently
@ 2022-12-17  7:43 ` Bodertz
From: Bodertz @ 2022-12-17  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

You may want to look into "(gnus)Group Levels".  If you set your
low-trafic feeds to a higher level than 5 (by default), then 'g' won't
check for updates on them.  You can then use 'M-g' on those feeds when
you want to update them, or do 'C-u 6 g' to check for updates in all
groups with a level of 6 or lower (if you set those feeds to level 6).

At least I think so.

* Re: Update RSS feeds less frequently
@ 2022-12-17 12:50 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-12-17 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 23:08, John Haman wrote:
> I want to keep track of my high traffic and low traffic feeds in Gnus,
> but considering that RSS updating in Gnus can be slow, I'd like to only
> update my low traffic feeds manually.

Use levels ("S l" in the group buffer to give individual groups a
level); info manual section (gnus) Group Levels.  Give the low traffic
groups a higher level than the default retrieved and then manually (C-u
5 g, say) retrieve higher level groups every so often.

Alternatively, use rss2email to retrieve rss feeds outside gnus.  This
is what I do as I find rss too slow generally in gnus and it adds
friction.

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 30.0.50 2022-12-02) on Debian 11.5

* Re: Update RSS feeds less frequently
@ 2022-12-17 16:33   ` John Haman
From: John Haman @ 2022-12-17 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: ding

> Use levels ("S l" in the group buffer to give individual groups a
> level); info manual section (gnus) Group Levels.  Give the low traffic
> groups a higher level than the default retrieved and then manually (C-u
> 5 g, say) retrieve higher level groups every so often.

Thanks, I'll get familiar with the functionality.

> Alternatively, use rss2email to retrieve rss feeds outside gnus.  This
> is what I do as I find rss too slow generally in gnus and it adds
> friction.

I have never heard about rss2email. I might give it a shot, but I'm not
a fan of mixing email and rss together, even if I separate feeds into
different folders.

--

@ 2022-12-17 16:59     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-12-17 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

John writes:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

>> Alternatively, use rss2email to retrieve rss feeds outside gnus.  This
>> is what I do as I find rss too slow generally in gnus and it adds
>> friction.

> I have never heard about rss2email. I might give it a shot, but I'm not
> a fan of mixing email and rss together, even if I separate feeds into
> different folders.

A third solution is to read RSS via nntp on news.gwene.org¹ or on
feedbase.org² - mentioning the latter is a shameless plug, as I built it
to consume RSS myself :-)

  Best regards,

    Adam

¹ http://gwene.org/about.php
² https://feedbase.org/

--
 "I had never been interested in numerical analysis         Adam Sjøgren
  up to that point. Like most mathematicians of my     asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Update RSS feeds less frequently
@ 2022-12-17 19:31       ` John Haman
From: John Haman @ 2022-12-17 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

> A third solution is to read RSS via nntp on news.gwene.org¹ or on
> feedbase.org² - mentioning the latter is a shameless plug, as I built it
> to consume RSS myself :-)

Very interesting to hear about feedbase.org. I didn't know there was a
Gwene alternative.

I do use gwene for most of my RSS feed reading, but I have problems with
about half of my feeds: Something about an internal ID already being
taken, or the feed cannot be found. I will give feedbase a shot for my
other feeds.

Before I received this msg, I was able to import my low-traffic RSS feeds
and change them to group level 6 using `S l'. I'm wondering... Does
anyone know if there is a way to set the group level in my gnus.el? I'd
like to be able to track group levels across computers.

--

@ 2022-12-17 19:45     ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2022-12-17 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> Use levels ("S l" in the group buffer to give individual groups a
>> level); info manual section (gnus) Group Levels.  Give the low traffic
>> groups a higher level than the default retrieved and then manually (C-u
>> 5 g, say) retrieve higher level groups every so often.

I've used this method for some time and it's quite effective,
with one twist.  All groups of all levels are retrieved on
Emacs startup.  After that I do manual refresh of any group
(RSS feeds in particular) that may interest me.  This prevents
slowdown of high-priority mail fetching, such as my inbox.

> I have never heard about rss2email. I might give it a shot, but I'm not
> a fan of mixing email and rss together, even if I separate feeds into
> different folders.

For Gnus, it seems to me there's hardly any difference.  Your
feeds end up in Gnus groups, no matter how they happened to
have gotten there. Alternatively, though, if you want complete
separation but still staying within Emacs, you can use
something like elfeed.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

- Via GNU/Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB

* Re: Update RSS feeds less frequently
@ 2022-12-19 20:44         ` Haider Rizvi
From: Haider Rizvi @ 2022-12-19 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

John Haman <mail@johnhaman.org> writes:

> Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:
>

>> A third solution is to read RSS via nntp on news.gwene.org¹ or on
>> feedbase.org² - mentioning the latter is a shameless plug, as I built it
>> to consume RSS myself :-)

Most of my rss / atom feeds are via gwene (and some via feedbase - thanks Adam for providing this service).

One option not yet mentioned: if you only want to use native RSS capabilities, you may want to look at nnrss-generate-download-script. Once you have a script, you can divide up into multiple prioritized scripts and fetch via cron as appropriate.

* Re: Update RSS feeds less frequently
@ 2022-12-19 21:04         ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2022-12-19 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Before I received this msg, I was able to import my low-traffic RSS feeds
> and change them to group level 6 using `S l'. I'm wondering... Does
> anyone know if there is a way to set the group level in my gnus.el? I'd
> like to be able to track group levels across computers.

I do this by syncing the .newsrc* files across computers
(using rsync to and from a central site but there are many ways).

--

@ 2022-12-20  1:23           ` John Haman
From: John Haman @ 2022-12-20  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: ding

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

>> Before I received this msg, I was able to import my low-traffic RSS feeds
>> and change them to group level 6 using `S l'. I'm wondering... Does
>> anyone know if there is a way to set the group level in my gnus.el? I'd
>> like to be able to track group levels across computers.
>
> I do this by syncing the .newsrc* files across computers
> (using rsync to and from a central site but there are many ways).

Is that the .newsrc.eld? My dribble file is empty.

--

@ 2022-12-21 22:05             ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2022-12-21 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Haman, ding

John Haman <mail@johnhaman.org> writes:

> Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:
>
>>> Before I received this msg, I was able to import my low-traffic RSS feeds
>>> and change them to group level 6 using `S l'. I'm wondering... Does
>>> anyone know if there is a way to set the group level in my gnus.el? I'd
>>> like to be able to track group levels across computers.
>>
>> I do this by syncing the .newsrc* files across computers
>> (using rsync to and from a central site but there are many ways).
>
> Is that the .newsrc.eld? My dribble file is empty.

Yes.