From: Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann)
Subject: Re: Offline mail and group cooperation
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 21:54:49 +0200	[thread overview]

> grossjoh@lothlorien.cs.uni-dortmund.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> I guess that nnimap and Gnus Agent is still one of the major
>> alternatives.  I remember that I tried it a long time ago and I was
>> confused about which messages it wanted to download automatically.  I
>> guess that we want to download all messages (regardless of marks) in
>> selected groups.  Is this possible with the Agent?
>
> Right now the Agent is hard coded to never download articles marked as
> read in Gnus.  I posted a (very lightly tested) patch to fix this long
> time ago, but never committed it as it breaks backwards compatibility
> (people that want the old behaviour had to add a `read' Agent
> predicate to only download read articles, which was the old
> behaviour).

I would really appreciate it if we could get the new behavior.  It
seems that the trick of your patch is to change the return value of
gnus-agent-fetch-headers.  My suggestion is to make this depend on a
user option, which has the right value for backward compatibility.

Hm.

It is not pretty.  It would be much better if the predicate syntax
could just be augmented so that old predicates continue to retain
their meaning.  But I can't see how to do that.  Hm.  Hmmm...  So
maybe it is really better to just have a user option, even if it's
butt-ugly.  What do you think?

It's getting urgent for me.  I really want to be able to download all
articles, including the read ones.

kai